Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alteryx Server Backup Cadence

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

What is everyone's best practice for how often you save a backup of your Alteryx Server environment? Right now we do it every 2 weeks, but wondering if we have dozens of users with new flows and outputs if it makes more sense to do it weekly? The file size is prohibitive if we are keeping daily runs, but weekly might be OK? I think only keeping the last month of backups would be sufficient (technically you only need to a current one, but I would like to have more in case there is an issue). 

Thoughts? suggestions? Right now again ours runs bi-weekly on Saturday morning (lighter activity). 

2 REPLIES 2
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@aehrenwo  It just depends on your companies policy of your RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and RTO (Recovery Time Objective). It refers to the amount of data that can be lost before significant harm and how much an application can be down without causing significant damage to the business. I've seen users backup mongodb every week during downtime or lighter activity due to the critical processes that run on the server.

Questions to think about would be are those workflows, output and processes important? RTO? RPO? Talk to the users to get a better ideas on the importance of the workflows.

Here's an KB article on the community that you can take a look at.  Hope this helps. 

Digan
Alteryx
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@aehrenwo Updating the link

Digan
Alteryx