Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Gallery very slow 2020.4

CatheyH
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice:

We are struggling with a very slow and often unresponsive Gallery

Pages take a long time to load - especially in Admin.

Some collections take longer than others to load and anything to do with loading Users is particularly slow.

When running workflows users will sometimes get variations on the "Error Receiving Data" message. It could be when loading the app or running the app.

CatheyH_0-1635333983279.png

If we persist, keep trying / reloading the Gallery URL, eventually we can get the pages to load or workflow to run and, though we still get errors, we get fewer of them. 

We are running Alteryx 2020.4, MongoDB is as default and the server itself seems to be running fine.

2 REPLIES 2
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CatheyH ,

Since the error occurs when running workflows, my first guess is related to processing power and memory usage.

If you are running a single node alteryx server, all the components are in the same server, which means, of course, that you are sharing the resources between the components (Gallery, Worker, MongoDB). 

1. If you have many users accessing the gallery at the same time, that could be causing the problem
  2. AMP engine enabled consumes a lot of your processing power compromising your gallery user interface
  3. Workflows with high memory or CPU  usage

If you have no idea what is really happening, I suggest you download the usage report from the licensing portal (licenses.alteryx.com) and check if you have anything suspicious there. I suggest you use the tableau dashboard instead of the PDF, you will be able to see more details about your server usage.

https://help.alteryx.com/20212/server/install-server-usage-report

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

CatheyH
8 - Asteroid

Problem solved (with thanks to Alteryx Support)

First up - Gallery lagging a bit: users who have left the business and are no longer in the AD Group. If they still have permissions in Gallery it is best to switch them to "No Access" Gallery will not then spend time trying to resolve them (To track them down I found that checking which collections have slowed down when I try to access "Users" would narrow the field a little. After that it is a manual job!)

Secondly - and the one causing the main issue: Somehow the service account that we have been using as our "Run as" user had dropped out of the server machine Administrator permissions group, so although we checked that the group still had all the correct permissions on the machine, the actual user didn't. 

If this is your issue, run through this list and ensure your user is set up correctly: https://help.alteryx.com/20212/server/configure-required-run-user-permissions

Adding in full text of error to aid with future searches:

Problem loading app

Error receiving data: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (10060)