Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alteryx Gallery HTML Output

maisonsteyer
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone - 

I have created a report in Alteryx that unfortunately will only be output in the correct format via HTML output. I have tried everything I can to get this formatting to work when outputting to a pdf, but to no avail. With that being said, when I upload the workflow to the gallery and attempt to run it, I get the error in the picture below. I know that the issue is related to the html output because I've tested the workflow with a pdf output being the only change and the workflow ran just fine. 

Thanks in advance!

galleryerror.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@maisonsteyer try outputting to a PCXML format in your workflow and run in the Gallery. 

maisonsteyer
7 - Meteor

I've tried that and it isn't a good solution because the other options (pdf, excel, and word) are not formatted correctly and I want to limit the download option to just html. Is there a way to limit the download options to only html via the PCXML?

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@maisonsteyer  What methods of output in Alteryx have you explored as yet - as in have you tried this via the Render and Output tools and get the same sort of result?

maisonsteyer
7 - Meteor

I have tried pdf, excel, and html. The only output that I have had be successfully formatted is the html output. 

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

How about this:

1. Use the Output Tool to create the HTML file in a folder. If this is a throwaway file, I'd create it in the temp folder.
  2. Execute a BAT file using the Run Command tool to open the HTML file. Hopefully, it would open in the same browser.
maisonsteyer
7 - Meteor

Is the Run Command tool able to be used in the gallery? I was under the impression that tool wasn't able to be used in the gallery.

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

@maisonsteyer : The Run Command tool can be rather tricky to use with the Gallery, that's true.

I do have a process that works for my setup:

1. Include the code for the BAT file somewhere in the workflow. This can be written in an external file that I bring into the workflow, or hard-coded in the workflow itself.
  2. Create the BAT file in the temp folder. I use the Output Data tool for this.
  3. Execute the BAT file using the Run Command tool. I use the CReW macro tool Parallel Block Until Done to make sure that Step 2 finishes creating the BAT file before Step 3 executes it.

To illustrate, I have this portion of one particular app:

Untitled.png

This is the configuration of the Output Data tool:

Untitled2.png

And this is for the Run Command tool:

Untitled3.png

Some context on this app:

• The user runs this app on the Gallery. The app creates an Excel file as output, then puts it in a shared network folder.
  • One unintended by-product of this process is that the app also generates a BAK file alongside that Excel file - I have not found a way to prevent this. This BAK file only serves to confuse our users and clutters up the folder.
  • My solution is to create this BAT file that deletes that BAK file, much like a clean-up subroutine.
TimothyR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi all!

After working with @maisonsteyer, it appears that this is a documented defect (TGAL-2235) regarding the Render Tool outputting HTM/HTML files that have embedded image files. This is projected to be fixed in the major 2021.4 Server release.

maisonsteyer
7 - Meteor

@TimothyR My server version is now up to 2021.4.2.07064 and I am still encountering the issues stated above. The 2021.4 release notes claim that this has been fixed in that version, however, it remains unfixed.