Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Designer vs Alteryx Server

Vinodh15
5 - Atom

Hi People,

I'm trying to figure out difference between Alteryx Designer and Alteryx Server ( I know it might sound like comparing apples with oranges) . Basically the idea is , I'm trying to figure out need of upgrading Alteryx Server over Alteryx Designer.

6 REPLIES 6
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Vinodh15 there are millions of possible reasons why one might need server.

Generally speaking....

If more than one user in the organization already uses Designer, then Server is a compliment to (NOT alternative to) Designer.

If you need a web interface from which to share Alteryx Apps... you need server (w Gallery).

If you need a single machine (or cluster) to process scheduled workflows for multiple users... you need server.

If you are running on a machine that isn't always on and you need to schedule workflows, but your organization has a Windows server... you need server.

If you are a single user that doesn't expect to share apps, needs to schedule workflows and already runs an “always on” machine (like a server-based VM)... you need Designer with Automation.

Vinodh15
5 - Atom

please can you share some more points to justify it .

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Vinodh15  That would really require more knowledge about how you use Alteryx or want to use it.  Can you provide any description of the work?

Vinodh15
5 - Atom

Thanks for you active reply, basically we are adapting Alteryx now . At present we are using it for ETL purpose and we are publishing it to Tableau as Tableau extract . We are planning to on board  Alteryx server . hope I'm clear on points

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Vinodh15  In that case, Alteryx server would be a good choice for you.

You can schedule your extracts to push TDE files for your Tableau dashboards on a schedule and not need to rely on your local machines to be on and run the workflows.

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Is Alteryx designer install on standalone machine and Alteryx Designer install for server machine are the same?

Or there is different Alteryx software require for Users machine and server machine?

Could you please explain?

Also is there is a cost difference for local machine Designer software and Server Machine Alteryx Desinger?

Thank you in advance.