Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Adding a Worker Node on a VM

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

I've read that adding another worker node needs to have the same software as the original node(s).  In a VM set up can the original worker node to cloned to keep it in synch with the original node?  Any things to take into account if cloning is an option?

Thank You.

5 REPLIES 5
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@TimN

There are two major components to keep in mind when adding a worker node that you have cloned. The first is host ID, which you will manually need to update as a server needs all workers to have a unique host ID so that it can differentiate between workers or the worker and the controller. The second is licensing, you'll need to insure that you update the node's licensing to be worker based as controllers and workers have different license keys.

Outside of this if you run into any issues I would recommend reaching out to our support team at Support@alteryx.com.

Thanks, @KylieF

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

Hello @TimN,

I posted a similar question here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/New-node-on-Different-VM/m-p/1144749#M13...

Do you have any tips on best practices for keeping the new node(s) up to date with the old one(s)?

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi, 

We did reach out to Alteryx support a while back and they did not support the idea of cloning.  One thing we learned was for Python libraries we installed beyond what came with Alteryx was to create a requirements file.  it a text file with all the Python libraries listed including the library version we use in Alteryx.  That's a big help especially in a multi-node environment.

Regards,

Tim

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@TimN Thanks for responding I appreciate your advice