Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Add a new tab to same excel file on Alteryx Server

Jerin_jaj
7 - Meteor

I have 5 workflows which writes output to respective sheets in One excel. All the outputs are of different schema. When i run them in Designer it runs fine, But when i run in Server first workflow runs fine, but seconds onwards throws error. 

7 REPLIES 7
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Jerin_jaj 

Can you screen shot the error?

Jerin_jaj
7 - Meteor

Hey @LordNeilLord  I am sorry my words are misguiding. I do not get error in the second file, but it created a new excel all together. I want it to create a sheet in the previous workflow's ouput. Is it possible?

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Yeah that's absolutely possible, in your output you just need to add the sheet name that you want to create, so it would look something like this:

C:\MyDocuments\MyFile.xlsx|||My New Sheet

Jerin_jaj
7 - Meteor

I want to do it on alteryx gallery. It works fine on designer. When in gallery its creating a new file output for each workflow

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Jerin_jaj When it works in designer, where are you writing the data to?

For it to work for various workflows on your private gallery, I think you would need to write data to a shared drive using UNC pathing (so instead of L:\folder, it would be something of the form \\domain\folder). The only possible "issue" with this method is that files written to UNC paths aren't shown to the end user in the gallery. 

You would also have to ensure that your output files aren't being packaged when you save the workflows to the server. This can be seen by clicking on manage workflow assets when saving.

Jerin_jaj
7 - Meteor

@patrick_digan How to do the All UNC pathing? When i click on All Unc under workflow dependancies, nothings changed. 

How to achieve it?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Jerin_jaj Great question! It looks like you're writing to the D drive on your machine. That drive is local to your machine and won't work as an output location for the gallery since it doesn't have access to your machine. In order for the gallery to have various workflows all write to the same excel file, the normal procedure would be to have a filepath on a network folder that the gallery has access to. The gallery normally doesn't map drives, so you would need to convert to UNC like you tried with your D drive. When I go to file explorer and click on this pc, you can see I have a G, H and S drives which are network folders that would need to be converted to UNC path before I can have the gallery write there.

Annotation 2019-08-06 082447.jpg