Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

APIUsing Gallery API to trigger and extract output from alteryx workflow

apoorvashetty
6 - Meteoroid

Here's my requirement: 

I need to run the Alteryx workflow stored on the server through some third party software (Html or Tableau). I also want to use the values in the output of the workflow and use it as a data component in the website/Dashboard. (For instance,if  the value for a certain column A is "Chicago" which could be used to dynamically filter or display certain things etc.) 

Can someone guide me as to how I can start from scratch ? As a person who doesn't have too much experience in html or javascript ? I know there is a video regarding Alteryx sdk and API but is there any resource excluding that which tells me how to extract exact values from the alteryx output and deals with apps that have questions? 

I know there are many questions in here but would sincerely appreciate if I could reach out t anyone who has successfully used Gallery API before. 

3 REPLIES 3
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @apoorvashetty 

I don't think this platform would be sufficient in being able to guide you through this type of request. The API documentation does contain C# and JavaScript samples that you could explore.

jrgo_0-1572547008120.png

This is from Alteryx's Gallery, but this documentation is also available in your own company's Gallery. Link is in the footer "LOOKING FOR MORE?" links or you can type the URL in the browser <YourGalleryAddress>/api-docs/ (e.g. http://mycompany/gallery/api-docs/).

Best of luck!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

apoorvashetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jimmy, 

Thank you for your quick response. I have messed around with the code in that section but I was hoping to connect with people who've worked with such use cases. Which platform would you recommend ? 

Thanks !

Apoorva 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @apoorvashetty

The core part of this is returning the values. I usually have a message tool that returns the output that I need to the log. In the response, you then just need to read the JSON for the Message tool and dismantle to get your response value.

As Tableau lets you embed a webpage, sometimes it can be easiest to use that. Take a look at the JS example and how that webpage works. Although that example is in node.js, I think by memory in AngularJS there is a hook to listen for the response.