Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

2021.3 Server - Unable to translate Alias - Error for DB connection

rohan_tibarewala
9 - Comet

When i try uploading a workfow with database connection on Gallery or if try running the app with db connection on gallery, i get an error saying 'unable to translate Alias'.

I have been able to use the same db connection and run successfull on Gallery before, but since the Version 2021.3 upgrade i am getting the Alias error.

10 REPLIES 10
gpmyers111
6 - Meteoroid

Having the same issue here. 

My existing data connections work fine after the upgrade, but if I create a new one, I get this error every time. 

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I have had this error numerous times, but not just because of an upgrade.  Check or have your system admin check that the system account running on the server still has permissions to the machine keys folder (where the passwords are hashed (%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys).  If it is anything else I am subscribing before our group upgrades and finds the same.  Good luck

rohan_tibarewala
9 - Comet

@john_watkins 

Seems the system account has access to the folder you referred to, but the error still persists for us.

rohan_tibarewala_1-1629704370954.png

gpmyers111
6 - Meteoroid

I checked this on our server as well and even explicitly added the service account to full access to that folder. Our issue persists. 

I've been looking over older cases, and the problem seems to be that neither an input tool or an output tool using the new gallery connection can be packaged. This used to solve the problem in the past, but now all I get when I go under Manage Workflow Assets before the save is this:

gpmyers111_0-1629720477293.png

gpmyers111
6 - Meteoroid

As an update, I've now discovered that our existing gallery connections are also effected. They work fine if you run an existing workflow on the gallery or scheduler, but if you download the workflow to Designer and then try to save, it errors with "Unable to Translate Alias"

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I have had one fluke occurrence where I could open a "broken" workflow and copy/paste it into a new blank workflow and resave, and everything worked great.   I then found a bug that wouldn't let the workflow save correctly to the gallery IF AMP was checked as a runtime selection.   It worked just fine if I unchecked that selection.   That took me days to figure out and maybe worth a check in this case because I also had double-checked every other obvious thing.

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi all - thank you for reporting. We have identified a defect in the 21.3 version which is preventing the alias file from being packaged when workflows are uploaded from Designer to Gallery. Without this alias file, you get this error.

Please refer to the article here for more details, and for updates: TDES-3766: Designer 2021.3 - Error "Unable to tran... - Alteryx Community

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
NeilFisk
9 - Comet

This most likely goes further than this particular error.  We have noticed with the 2021.3 update the following:

If a user selects the Input Data tool and selects Data sources, and selects Oracle Quick connect, they get the following error message – even on a blank canvas:

NeilTsunami_0-1630094554934.png

If a user selects Options, Advanced Options, Manage Data Connections, and selects Add Connection, Oracle, nothing happens.

Only if a user selects Options, Advanced Options, Manage Data Connections, and selects Add Connection, Other can they get a dialog box that they can enter information in as seen below.

NeilTsunami_1-1630094554947.png

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@NeilFisk  check this article