Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

2018.3 Insight Tool & Gallery

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Community,

I need some help with the new Insight Tool.

I have a very simple workflow that reads an input, and then I want to have an Insight.

wf.PNG

I read my datasource, drop an Insight tool in the canvas, create the layer, the Insight looks great.

Capture.PNG

I select my Gallery (a local one @localhost/gallery) and publish my insight.

Capture4.PNG

The new insight appears on the Gallery,

Capture5.PNG

but when I click it to see it, I receive a: 

"Error rendering insight. If this problem persists, please contact your Systems Administrator."

Capture6.PNG

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be welcome.

14 REPLIES 14
AnupD
8 - Asteroid

Hi@MikeSp 

I'm also facing similar issue. I've followed all the recommended steps mentioned in the screenshot. Gallery base URL includes '/gallery' path. I don't have any special characters in my computer name.We currently use 2019.1 Designer and Server, with Single Node, IWA authentication.

To troubleshoot further, I logged into the server and reviewed Gallery and Service logs. Gallery logs did not give me much information. Service logs had following Messages with LogLevel as 'Error' and ServiceId as 'Insight_Render'

InsightRenderer.cpp: 132. Timeout rendering insight.
InsightWorkerHandler_ReadBody_Error: <Timeout rendering insight.>
ServicePlugin_Insight.cpp: 45. Timeout rendering insight.
InsightHandler_ReadBody_Error: <Timeout rendering insight.>

I verified InsightCache folder in Service->Staging and I see 'insight.sqlite' and 'insightDescription.json' files there, for each run I attempted.

Also, I looked into 'RuntimeSettings.xml' file, but I did not see any time-out setting there.

What else can I do to troubleshoot this issue? Is there a known resolution for this error?

Thanks.

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AnupD,

One thing I might recommend checking would be to make sure that the port range you have specified in the Alteryx Server's Insight settings is not blocked as this could cause timeout situations to occur.

Does the same behavior occur if you access your Gallery from the Gallery machine's desktop, just to rule out network issues?

Is this the only Insight failing in the environment?

If the answer to these questions is yes, this is likely an issue that someone will need to spend a bit of time analyzing. I'd highly recommend reaching out to our Support team so that we can really dig into the issues at hand and help you determine what might be going on!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Support/bd-p/SupportPage

Thanks!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
AnupD
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your prompt response. Local addresses are currently blocked on the sever actually. I won't be able to open Gallery from the server machine. Let me get the local traffic up, verify the port range is not blocked and then test it again. Thanks for your help!

AltAddict26
7 - Meteor

Hi Mike! How did you get to the page that you added the screenshot for? I'm a Curator so I believe I should have access to this. Thank you!

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AltAddict26 ,

Thanks for reaching out!

The settings are within the Alteryx System Settings application, which is located directly on the server machine(s) that Alteryx Server is deployed to in your environment. You may need to reach out to a contact that has direct Remote Desktop (RDP) access to your Alteryx Server machine(s) to enable this feature. The options to enable this feature set are not exposed through the Gallery Administration web pages as it requires a restart of the back-end services on the machine.

If you have any questions while enabling this feature set or run into any unexpected behavior, I might advise opening a new Community thread or reaching out to our Customer Support team!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx