Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Trace Field

It would be really nice to be able to easily trace a selected field through a workflow (see below, trace in green). This would greatly help with troubleshooting.

TraceFields.JPG

15 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Brilliant idea - this fits in nicely with some of the ideas that @Ned and @AdamR_AYX have been kicking around to have explicit field identifiers within Alteryx.

I can see myself using this idea daily!

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks @StephenR for the idea post.  This is something that is being explored currently.  As @SeanAdams points out, there are many related features we can enable if we get functionality like this implemented.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

If you are trying to trace a field you can currently search the name using Control+F and when you search the field name it will list out all the tools containing that name. I use this on occasion if I am in someone else's workflow.

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

+1, that would be fantastic, i can certainly identify with this when troubleshooting.

cdok1091
5 - Atom

+1

fharper
12 - Quasar

The control+F or what ever solution this evolves to it would be perhaps more useful if the search had multiple of options

1. All Option - all tools where referenced...i think this is the Control+F as mentioned above?
  2. Chg Option - the first tool and subsequent tools where it changes, data type, size, formula... and the last tool where it exists.  Thus we eliminate noise of select tools and such where it exists but is not altered
  3. Rename Option - the first tool and any tool where it changes and any subsequent changes of the most previous incarnation, thus we can follow evolution from end to end
  4. ???
adrianloong
11 - Bolide

+1 excellent stuff, i can see how useful this would be when tracing particular fields

ksklar
7 - Meteor

Yes! Can't tell you how many times I've added a field in my initial query and then had to sort out where it got lost when it didn't reach the end of the workflow I was working in. (It's usually in a summarize tool...)

Hugo
9 - Comet

At inspire APAC they demoed this functionality but I don;'t think it's made it into the main release yet sadly- would be super useful

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@KylieF: Hello. I think this functionality was showed at Inspire events 2019, at least something very close. Can you please this is an accepted idea?

Best regards,

Simon