Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Stop workflow without error on condition

As @JordanB mentioned in his post (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Stop-workflow-on-a-condition/tac-p/74403#M19...) - there's a common need to stop a worfklow when an condition is met.

However, at present there's no way to do this without generating an error.

Please can we either alter the message/test component to allow for error-free termination on a formula condition; or alternatively implement the fuller idea that Mark ( @MarqueeCrew) mentioned in his programmatic Detour idea?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Programmatic-Detour/idi-p/12763

17 Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is definitely needed.

I followed the @MarqueeCrew 's suggestion and created a detour that was dynamically updated to bypass the offending section when record count = 0 but this took quite a while and is not the most elegant looking solution. I could probably refine this and package it but I feel it should certainly be a part of the core product.

buddyboy00212
5 - Atom
I completely agree. Just ran into a Use case where we are putting WF's on Server and are wanting to have email notifications when a WF errors or fails. However, we also want to implement logic where we terminate the WF in the beginning based upon a condition. Currently when we do this, it emails us on the logical termination which then sends false positive error notifications out. Would love to see a feature like this.
scottonsports
7 - Meteor

I have a process that runs daily. I need to count the existing records and, if there are less records in the new data than in the current data, I need to stop any output from happening. This is an important issue for us.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This is basic logic that is sorely needed.

How is this New Idea 2.5 years old?

TonyAdam
8 - Asteroid

Yes, this should be simple and is highly needed when running workflows on the server. It is not a good practice having to design workflows to run into an error when trying to stop them and it also messes with the server usage report, when stopped workflows are listed as "Error"...

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your feedback! This is a really interesting idea to us, however our product team is unable to include it in a near future release. We'd like to revisit this idea however when making future decisions. We'll update this idea once we can better speak on where or if this could fit into a future release.

eman
5 - Atom

Definitely needed.  I have multiple use cases related to needing this functionality.

bevankwong
6 - Meteoroid

Is there any update for this, or any roadmap for the development on this function?

Pam
5 - Atom

Please create this tool! Why is this so elusive? It seems like such a simple thing to do.

My use case:

If workflow status is inactive, don't run it!

Yet, instead I have to throw an error and even worse.... I have to throw two errors. One in the error message and another that says: Workflow was Cancelled by Properties Settings.

Absolutely absurd! 

BrianShoemaker
5 - Atom

From what I can tell, this functionality is still needed :)

Any update on this or is this still in "Revisit" status?