Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Start up Macro Loading Error (in bulk)

Currently I am running two version of Alteryx and some of the macros were created/updated in the newer version of Alteryx. I would like to see only one error message displayed for all of the macros created in a newer version rather than having a dialog box pop up a dozen plus times (one for each macro) every time I open an instance.

Macro Error MessageMacro Error Message

5 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I couldn't agree more!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@andrewdatakim For what it's worth, you can also change the extension of the macros to anything other than yxmc and avoid the errors. For example, if I create a new macro in 11.3, I could save it as "macro.11.3". It would still work as a macro, and alteryx wouldn't check the version of this macro at startup since it's not a yxmc. Macros without a yxmc extension won't show up in your toolbar or search, but I think it's an interesting idea. 

Ken_Black
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi,

This problem was happening to me recently and I solved it with one change to my system. I eliminated an older version of Alteryx (11.3) and kept the current version I was using (11.7).

The Problem

I create a lot of *.yxdb files to store results. I have thousands of these files, so whenever I clicked on one of the *.yxdb files to view the content, I had the "error loading a macro" message popping-up, n-times. The n-times occurred because I also write a lot of macros. Today, the message occurred 7 times. It was getting frustrating to have to sequentially close all of those pop-up dialogs, so I decided to fix the problem.

The Solution

The reason I had 7 macro error messages popping up was related to the Alteryx versions I had on my system. I recently jumped from 11.3 to 11.7, with both versions still on my system. When I checked the error loading messages to see which macros were the problem, they were all version 11.7 macros. This meant that when I was clicking on a *.yxdb file to view the file content, the version 11.3 executable was being used to view the content of the *.yxdb file, and apparently, it must do a check of the user-defined macros when it does that.  I'm not sure why Alteryx would check the user-defined macros before opening a *.yxdb file, but it must. Once I eliminated version 11.3 from my system (so I only have version 11.7), the problem disappeared. 

Maybe this will help someone else overcome this annoyance.

Ken

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!