The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Save as lowest compatible version

In the community and in mixed teams - it's very common for people to be caught on the error that "This document was created in a more recent version".   Although there are several workarounds (e.g. this one from @WayneWooldridge  here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Adjusting-Alteryx-Files-for-Different-Versio...), this seems like it may be an easy problem to solve more permanently.

Could we add an option to Alteryx to save the file with the lowest compatible version number?

So - for example - if i'm only using components that shipped with version 10, then please mark the file as version 10.   If I've used a tool that shipped in 11.0.6 then that needs to be the version number.

This way - files will be back-compatible as far as is possible by default unless using newer components.

Many thanks

Sean

11 Comments
ChadM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

+1.  I've actually submitted this internally as well, thanks @SeanAdams!

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Yes.  I went to the weekly challenge today and borked complaining about version differences.  I modified the .xml and got the thing opened and there weren't any Japanese character sets or HP Vertica database connectivity needs so this would make a big difference. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I am very much in favor of this great idea.

JulieM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback around this idea!  I am marking this post as under review so we can begin to investigate internally to see what we might be able to do here as a future enhancement.  We'll keep this post updated - Thanks again!

cam_w
11 - Bolide

To add my voice here ... I've upgraded to 2018.3 to start taking advantage of the newest features, but my workflows using basic tools that have been around for years, can't run on our Server instance that is running 2018.2.

In my case the original suggestion would solve this issue by indicating that my workflows could run on all versions back to version XX.Y. Perhaps the compatibility check needs to be at the tool level instead of at the Designer release level?

kgordish
8 - Asteroid
Support this. Frustrating after downloading a solution and can not open. Running a version just one update behind the newest version. The lack of backwards compatible hinders learning.
Heidi__dup_127
7 - Meteor
This would be a great feature since not everyone in my group upgrades to the latest version on the same date
Tyler_npd
5 - Atom

I agree this would be a great addition.

However there is a workaround!

1. Locate the workflow in your files.
  2. Right-click and "Open With" your text editor of choice.
  3. On the second line of the text you should see a version EX: ***<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.3">***
  4. You can change the version number (2018.3 in this example) to whichever version you would like the workflow to open in.
  5. Save and close
  6. Open in Alteryx Designer

Given that the version you are changing it to has all the same tools as the version you actually created the workflow on, you should not have a problem

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank you @Tyler_npd - you are absolutely right, that there is a technical solution for advanced users.   Thank you for taking the time to offer help!

The target market for Alteryx is Excel users who would not typically expect(or be comfortable with) altering XMl, especially in a series of deeply nested macros.      

So while you are right that there is a tactical workaround, this is an area where smoothing this out and taking away the complexity (as a new feature) removes yet another point of complexity for the user and makes the platform more usable for their target audience.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@SeanAdams , is this solved with Alteryx's newer ability to run out of sync workflow versions?