Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Render Tool - Output Multiple Tabs to One Excel

I would like to see the same functionalitly that the Output Tool has in the Render tool.  In the Output Tool, you can specify the Excel Worksheet along with the Sheet Name that you want to output too.  Meaning Same Worksheet, different tab:

C:Output FilesExample_Worksheet.xlsx|Report_1
     C:Output FilesExample_Worksheet.xlsx|Report_2

This functionality is not currently available in the Render Tool and would be very useful and cut out some manual operations on the back end that requires us to copy/paste from one file to another.

I tried using the Section Break technique that was offered as a suggestion, but it did not perform what I needed.

24 Comments
chris_cleckner
7 - Meteor
You can actually do this by using the layout tool just before the render tool.  Typically what I do is after each of the reports in the workflow, I'll insert a Formula tool and create a field called "grouping" and label the report what I'd like to see each tab labeled.  Then, Union together all of the reports that you would like to see in the same workbook.  After the Union, insert a Layout tool and select "Each Group of Records" as your layout mode, check the box next to your new "grouping" column in the group by section, select "Verticle with Section Breaks" as your orientation, and then select your newly created "grouping" field as your Section name.  Insert a Render tool after the Layout tool and you're done.
Coxta45
11 - Bolide

@chris_cleckner,

This is so helpful!  I've been trying to figure this out all morning..Thanks!

fdenger
5 - Atom

Hi, can you help me figure out how to order the tabs in this output? It appears to be setting them up alphabetically, even though the order of the data is not alphabetic. Suggestions? Thanks!

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@fdenger - if you post your question as a new thread on the Discussions board instead of the Ideas board, I can help you out, I believe I have a solution. :) Thanks!

NJ

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

The solution from chris_cleckner worked for me. Thank you!
Michal
9 - Comet

Grouping can only be applied if you are using the same input for all objects (tables etc.), not if you combine layouts, images, tables, all coming from different sources.

And there seems to be no alphabetical sorting of objects based on their Section Name now (in the settings).

BUT another way to pre-define the order of tabs in output excel (especially if you are combining those multiple sources) is to use select after each object and rename them from default (e.g. "Table"). So at the end you may have multiple objects (named 01_Table, 02_Table, 03_Layout, 04_Image etc.) which you union by specific order (your desired one) and followed by that Layout where you define the section breaks and section names. 

reporting_order_tabs.PNG

When they are in their default naming and you may have four objects named Table, they are sorted somehow random (at least to me).

Cheers,

Michal

Billigence

* I just realized this post is in ideas, feel free to move to the right topic and delete this note *

TammyFoley
7 - Meteor
While the columns would remain the same, the number of rows will vary each month, so the "range" would never be the same each month. It would really be much simpler if you had a tool similar to the JOIN tool where you link the multiple tables to the one tool, have it offer you the option of "naming" each tab (table) to be exported to 1 file, and offer the option of overwriting the current file or adding a new tab to an existing file. Thanks.
TammyFoley
7 - Meteor

I have multiple TABLES that each contain different data and need to be RENDERED into 1 Excel file, each on their own tab.  You only seem to be able to do this with the OUTPUT DATA tool, but that doesn't work with formatted TABLES.  I was advised that I have to RENDER the formatted TABLES out, which doesn't allow you to name the tabs and forces each table into its own Excel file.  As some of my reports have over 30 tabs, this is not an acceptable option.  The program I currently use, which my company is eliminating, offers you the option of naming the tabs, as well as asking if you want to add them as a new tab to an existing file, replace an existing file, or export the data to a new file.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Just to confirm, have you tried setting up your formatted tables as Named Ranges in Excel and having the Output Data tool output to these Named Ranges?

This article gives a good example of how to do that.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Excel-Output-to-Named-Range/m-p/9644#M159...

azimme10
5 - Atom

Hi Tammy.  Did you ever figure out how to do this?  I am encountering the same problem.  I want to export 3 tables to the same excel workbook, and name the tabs.