Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

In Database Support for Snowflake Cloud Data Warehouse

We've been researching snowflake and are eager to try this new cloud database tool but are holding off till Alteryx supports in-database tools for that environment.  I know it's a fairly new service and there probably aren't tons of users, but it seems like a perfect fit since it's fully SQL complaint and is a truely native clouad, SAAS tool.  It's built from scratch for AWS, and claims to be faster and cheaper.

Snowflake for data storage, Alteryx for loading and processing, Tableau for visualization - the perfect trio, no?

Has anyone had experience/feedback with snowflake?  I know it supports ODBC so we could do basic connections with Alteryx, but the real key would obviously be enabling in-database functionality so we could take advantage of the computation power of the snowflake.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention the topic and find out if it's in the plans or not.

Thanks,

Daniel

2 Comments
BWindle
5 - Atom

I was able to connect through the ODBC driver Snowflake offers but it is trying to do a 1 to 1 post so it is very slow in performance.  One option that Snowflake offers is to pull files in bulk from S3.  Since Alteryx offers an S3 connector we can upload to that and then run a script in Snowflake to take the file in.  Not hands off but it offers significant speed improvement until Alteryx supports bulk load to Snowflake directly.  I guess you could call the Snowflake command line tool at that point to run the script and it would be hands off.  Not very pretty but would seem to work.  This doesn't offer in db but would offer automated upload. 

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

This was released in 11.5.