The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Export Workflow as Prior Version

After upgrading to version 10.5, my workflows become unreadable for community members on versions prior to it.  It would be nice if either the prior versions can (with warning) open the workflow or if I can readily export/downgrade the version header.  I understand that if the workflow contains elements unique to the new version that this would be problematic, but it would be helpful to have.

There is a NOTEPAD solution that I use where I edit the XML,

Thanks for consideration.

Mark

7 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think this is a great idea.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

or alternatively just put a check into Alteryx "this was made in a newer version - do you want to try anyway"?   that would solve this version issue more robustly, and then you'll only get errors on components which are new (and 90% or more of Alteryx is done in the same 20 tools anyway, so this would probably work almost always).

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the Idea Mark! We managed to sneak a feature for this in with version 11.5.

When a workflow is opened of a higher Alteryx version, Alteryx will now ask whether to attempt opening the workflow anyway.

Feel free to download it and let us know what you think. Testing it may be a little tricky, since it only applies to 11.5+ versions of Alteryx. So you'd need to use that notepad trick to artificially version up your workflow.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) works like a charm - nicely done!

I set a workflow to have version number 11.9 (which clearly doesn't exist) and although I got the error about newer version, it still let me open it.

This is a big relief of a common problem - thank you!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is a great feature!

We now just need to get everyone up onto 11.5 and beyond :)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@AlexKo is it worth marking this as "delivered" since the core problem is now solved with 11.5?

Status of this idea is still "New'

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks @SeanAdams - we were having a bit of trouble updating the status on the Idea but our Community team was able to resolve the issue. It should be updated now.