Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

%ErrorLog% : Output just the errors that occurred in the workflow

I propose another wildcard, %ErrorLog%, that would simply output the error codes and narratives instead of having to use the %OutputLog% to see these.  I'd rather not have a 4 MB text email depicting every line of code and action in the module when all I really need to see are the errors.

15 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+1 This would be really helpful

autolycus
8 - Asteroid
Perhaps something standard like STDERR?
Andrew_Meade
6 - Meteoroid
I'm currently looking for a similar solution right now and wish this was a thing.
leonj
7 - Meteor

I am also looking for this. Having to dig through a the whole output log is not ideal. I just want to see the errors so I can quickly focus on the issue.

carlosmartinezm
7 - Meteor

any update on this? I am currently trying to only show the erors of the output log and I haven't been able to find a solution

Andrew_Meade
6 - Meteoroid

Hey carlosmartinezm-

It might not be the best solution in the world but what I ended up doing was enabling logging (Options>User Settings> Edit User Settings... check the box for Override System Settings and then add a path to dump your log).  I have a workflow that reads the log file and I have it passing through a Formula tool to build a new field called "errors" using:

Contains([Field_1], "- Error -")

I then pass that stream through a Filter tool only extracting the rows that contain an error.

carlosmartinezm
7 - Meteor

thanks!

mst3k
11 - Bolide

bump / +1 upvote

If you embed SQL in your workflow, you've got to see every line of SQL code in the output log. You could be searching through hundreds of lines of code to find 1 error. I don't care about everything that worked successfully, so I don't need to see the whole log, I'd just like to know the errors.

Currently I have to log into the server, go to the results, find the failed run, and then it's more easily searchable because of color coding at least, compared to an email event after finishing with errors. But that process is slow and cumbersome. Being able to just see the errors from the log in an email event would be a valuable enhancement

analytics54
5 - Atom

Having only an output of errors instead of the entire log that includes tools that worked, conversion errors and warnings would be extremely helpful.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@KylieF any chance you can provide an update on this great idea?