Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Drop Table Tool

During the design phase, we make some experimentations and create tables with Alteryx.

But, sometimes, after this phase or after a mistake, we need to drop those tables.

We know that it's possible to write a drop table statement in Pre-SQL or Post-SQL but it requires SQL skills and it could be done only if you write in a table.

It will be great if we could drop a table directly in the Query builder of the Input tool by making a right click on the table in the discovery tree.

Extension : It also be great to have the same thing in the HDFS browse.

8 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

It may bee good to have a tool for listing existing tables, creating dates and updated dates...

List and drop in conjunction with create would make Alteryx a DWH tool I presume...

Papydruss
5 - Atom

It would be really nice effectively if we could have a "IN-Db drop box". If you use Alteryx as Dataprep tool, you can sometimes cut your in-db workflow in many workflows... Each workflows can finally create some intermediate tables in HDFS and if you want conserv only the final table/result at the end of devs, we can't drop all these intermediates tables of HDFS.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback- please continue to star if you'd like to see this!

Best,

Alex

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

More broadly - I think that we need to extend the capability of Alteryx to look at the broader need of BI people.

For example - you can't sync two tables; you can't do a dimension update that takes care of Slowly Changing Dimensions, etc.

So I agree with the idea - and think that there's a much broader need here to extend Alteryx to the needs of the bigger BI shops who are using this not just as a prep tool, but as an ETL pipeline too.

aweiss2k
7 - Meteor

+1 would really like some kind of tool-based way for non-SQL coders to drop tables.  Seems like such a simple addition.

Manjunath
8 - Asteroid

+1

I completely agree and support @aweiss2k 's point.

If we could have tool based way to truncate, add, delete tables it would very helpful to Non-SQL people

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

Would be very useful. Also very affordable, maybe one day or two of a developer 😄

Best regards,

Simon