Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Drag formula into new formula tool

It would be really cool if we could drag an entire configured formula from one formula tool into another formula tool.

DragDeletes.JPG

7 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: New Idea

Can you tell me a little more about this? When would you use this? Do you mean that you could take one of the formula expression rows from one Formula tool and add it to a new expression row in another Formula tool? 

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, the idea would be to drag a formula row from one tool into another tool and have it appear as a configured formula expression in the second tool.  This would be useful if you have to have the same formula in several places in a workflow.  One use case would be if you needed to add a status field to parallel streams of data.  The case that prompted the idea for me was moving several formulas in different parallel processes to one formula tool later in the workflow after the data paths had been joined together.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the clarification! I'll keep this request in mind. 

Vadim
5 - Atom

You can save your expressions and re-use them elsewhere, right? Also the recent expressions comes in handy for this imho.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Vadim Excellent point! Thanks for adding. @StephenR I'd love to know if this solve the problem you are facing. 

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @Vadim, I hadn't ever used the recent expressions, and it takes me close enough to what I need that a drag and drop solution would be redundant.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned