Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Download tool - Request and Response details

I recently did some extensive work on using the download tool to invoke Restful Web Services. A lot of the initial effort was around ensuring that the data being passed in the header and body for the request was as the service required. Following review of experiences on the community I used a tool called Fiddler to directly view what was being sent to identify the problems in my transformations of the data going into the Download tool. The idea is that the raw HTTP request and reply messages are available directly in Alteryx in the Results window when running a workflow, preventing the need to use another tool.

6 Comments
Coxta45
11 - Bolide

Would someone PLEASE provide details about making REST/SOAP calls to an API that requires POST variables.  There's plenty on pulling GET requests, but that stuff is child's play and I can't find very much help on this subject.

Andrew_Paterson
7 - Meteor

Hi Coxta,

I put this illustrative video together late last year, it should give a few pointers at least. I'm using POST and sending and receiving JSON payloads.

https://vimeo.com/148337877

Happy to help if you hit any hurdles, it took me a fair while to figure this out also when I started.

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in my response.  Just wanted to say thanks and that your Vimeo was very helpful.  I was able to better understand exactly how the download tool works and am now able to connect to Adobe Marketing cloud to consume real time website data for a company web traffic dashboard!

Regards

Andrew_Paterson
7 - Meteor

Great! Good luck with your future development.

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

Thanks, likewise!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes