The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Count Function

PLEASE add a count function to Formula/Multi-Row Formula/Multi-Field Formula!

I have searched for alternatives but am just confused about how to store the result for the total number of rows from Summarise or Count Records in a variable that can then be used within a Formula tab. It should not be that difficult to just add equivalents to R's nrow() and ncol().

6 Comments
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@helfenbeind,

When I have this need, I count the number of rows and append that value to every record (Append Fields).  

Cheers,

Mark

helfenbeind
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your reply, @MarqueeCrew.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

That would be a good idea to suggest.  Please do.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/product-ideas

Cheers,

Mark

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Thanks for adding this idea @helfenbeind. I'm looking into adding some functions to Formula and will add this one to my list to consider. Can you tell me a little more about how you'd use this function? What problems would you solve with the function? Specific examples would be helpful. 

Iggypop
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrewHow would you apply that when you need to count the number of rows by ID? For example, I transposed a set of columns into rows for a single record and now have 27 records. However that record has sales numbers which should be the total, but is now duplicated. 

I would typically just count the number of rows by each grouping, then divide the sales number by that count in order to get a fractioned number so as not to mess with the numeric data.

MPohlers
8 - Asteroid

A count function in all formulas would be nice.

@jdunkerley79 has created one in his formula add-on package.
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/An-Overview-of-the-Alteryx-Abacus-Add-In/ba-p/398982#

Count makes functions easier:

A:

COUNT([A],[B],[C],[D])

vs.

B:

if isnull([A]) then 0 else 1 endif +
if isnull([B]) then 0 else 1 endif +
if isnull([C]) then 0 else 1 endif +
if isnull([D]) then 0 else 1 endif