Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Apache ORC input/output format support

https://orc.apache.org/

Apache ORC is commonly used in the context of Hive, Presto, and AWS Athena. A common pattern for us is to use Alteryx to generate Apache Avro files, then convert them to ORC using Hive. For smaller data sizes, it would be convenient to be able to simply output data in the ORC format using Alteryx and skip the extra conversion step.

ORC supports a variety of storage options that users may wish to override from sensible Alteryx defaults. We typically use the SNAPPY compression codec.

6 Comments
Nitish_Salve
7 - Meteor

Hi Team,

Is Apache ORC input/output format supported now?

JohnGD
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Nitish_Salve!

At the moment, columnar file formats are not supported by Alteryx.

However, they can be accessed in Alteryx via the Hive ODBC Driver.

You will have to create intermediary Hive tables first in order to store the data.

I suggest that you take a look at this community article on another type of columnar data and the Hive DDL documentation for Apache ORC.

Let me know how it worked for you !

John

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello. For information, Qlik now allows to read Parquet, so I guess it's possible..

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

For Parquet the idea is here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Ideas/Add-Parquet-data-format-as-input-amp...

Both Orc and Parquet should be supported in 2023...