The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add "BETWEEN" as an operator function

This is a pretty quick suggestion:

I think that there are a lot of formulas that would be easier to write and maintain if a SQL-style BETWEEN operator was available.

Essentially, you could turn this:

ToNumber([Postal Code]) > 1000 AND ToNumber([Postal Code]) < 2500

Into this:

ToNumber([Postal Code]) BETWEEN 1000 AND 2500

That way, if you later had to modify the ToNumber([Postal Code]), you only have to maintain it once.  Its both aesthetically pleasing and more maintainable!

15 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great Idea! Perhaps it could be a function like:

Between(ToNumber([Postal Code]),1000,2500)
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for the request.  We will consider this as we make updates to our Formula tool functionality.

Storm
9 - Comet

Status already changed to under review, so I may be beating a dead horse, but I just want to second the suggestion.

From the word go, I have LOVED Alteryx - still do - but I always found it odd that in tools such as e.g. formula, filter, you can't use BETWEEN.  To this day, I will sometimes type BETWEEN in there, get a parse error, and it sometimes doesn't immediately dawn on me what's wrong.

I think "[fieldname] between 10 and 15" is so much simpler than "[fieldname] >= 10 and [fieldname] <= 15".

RSK
7 - Meteor

Agreed. Oracle products have a between function.

EEdLoh
8 - Asteroid

python allows certain comparative statements regarding the same variable to be condensed. I think this syntax makes a lot sense, since this is something we've all seen since we learned about inequalities in grade school.

(b > a and b < c) == (a < b < c)
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

any updates?

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

this will be awesome for dates as well...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Between is a long conversation.  I like the function.  I also like to use TILE to range values.  I like the idea of using an incoming (external) table of values to compare and get a result rather than hard-coding logic.  Sometimes the comparisons are to fields that reside on the record too.  Dynamic typing of fields is interesting to add to the function because you need to between text, numbers and dates (special text).

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepted

Thank you all for your feedback and input on this idea!

This idea has been reviewed by our product team and they have determined that they can include this quality of life enhancement on the road map. We'll do our best to insure this idea get updated again once we are close to the release of this feature in a version of Alteryx.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review