Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

The 'How to Guide' to Adobe Analytics

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

The ‘How to Guide’ To Adobe Analytics

Through Adobe Analytics the ability to collect and visualize data from your websites has allowed for improved decision making, yet the format of that data can only take you so far. Within Alteryx you now have the ability to connect to Adobe Analytics and bring that data into Alteryx, allowing you to perform greater data manipulation to provide further insights, as well as Predictive & Spatial Analytics! 

There are just a few things you need in order to use the Adobe Analytics connector:

• Adobe Analytics Account (user or developer)

Step 1: Download the Connector

• Please download from the Alteryx Analytics Gallery
  • The downloads are now performed through an YXI file
  • Click Run

pic1.jpg

• This will take you to the screen below and then you can press the Appropriate download for your Alteryx Designer version.

pic2.jpg

• If you press the ‘Adobe Analytics Install’ it will download the installer from your web browser, hit ‘open’ and it will open a slash screen in Alteryx Designer.

Pic 2.png

• Once you hit OK you have downloaded and installed the connector, and it ca be found in the connectors parent category.

Pic 3.png

Step 2: Sign In

• When you drag the connector into the canvas this will update the configuration window to show the ‘User’ and ‘Developer’ Login.
  • User Login will prompt a pop out window

User Login

• The User login will last for 30 Days or any time a new instance of the tool is added.
  • The User login requires web services access which is granted by your adobe administrator.
  • To gain single-sign you will need to link your adobe analytics account to your Adobe ID.
  • If you wish to link your accounts please go to marketing.adobe.com and log in with your Adobe ID (Adobe Admin will be needed).
  • You then need to click on the grid icon in the top right hand side and click on the Analytics logo.

Pic 4.png

• You then need to go to Admin>>>User Management

Pic 5.png

• Within this page you can select the ‘users’ button and edit user login permissions.

Pic 6.png

Developer Login

• The Developer login is recommended for when you are using the connector in a scheduled workflow or adding workflows to the Gallery.
  • To create a developer login you will need to create an application on the Adobe Developer Page using your Adobe Analytics account
  • When logged into the create an application page you need to select ‘Developer Tools’ tab in the navigation bar on the left hand side.

Pic 7.png

• When in the developer tools page, please click on the ‘Applications’ tab in the left hand side navigation window.

Pic 8.png

• When inside the Application page you can add the application.

Pic 9.png

• You want to keep the drop down as ‘Client Credentials’ and name you’re Application, company and scope to whatever you see fit.

Pic 10.png

• This will then provide you with the Application (Client) ID and Secret which you will need in the developer Login screen.

Step 3: Configuration

• After logging in the configuration will update and allow you to choose the Report Suite.

Report Suite

• The Report Suite which will populate are those available in the drop down on the right hand side of Adobe Analytics webpage.

Pic 12.png

Date Range & Granularity

• Select your date range & Granularity.
  • The default start date will be todays date.
  • Due to specific system requirements, the minimum date that can be used in the date, dateFrom, and dateTo parameters is 2000-01-01, and the maximum date is 2899-12-31.
  • The time units used to display data in a report that organizes the data by date.

Pic 14.png

Metric

• The metrics available are those specified under site metrics in Adobe Analytics. They can be used to tailor your report to return the metrics which you want.
  • Select up to 5 metrics

Pic 13.png

Element (1, 2, 3)

• The elements have three different level. Element 1 is used to breakdown the metric, whereas Element 2 is used to break down Element 1 and Element 3 is used to break down Element 1 & 2.
  • For example, you can generate a report for page view (metric) by the Web browsers (element) used to access the page. The resulting report lists page views by Web browser type. As part of the report definition, you can specify the elements to include in the report as a parameter, using the tns:reportDefinitionElementList data type (Referenced from Adobe
  • You can also use the advanced options to choose a specific classification, record limit and starting value. 

Segments

• Segments are optional, but you can only choose a maximum of two. Only valid combinations of segments can be used.

Step 4: Run the connector

• You have now configured the connector and can run the workflow!

Tips and Tricks

All report suites do not offer all elements. Use ReportSuite.GetAvailableElements (in the Administration API) to get a list of Element IDs available in a particular report suite.

Social elements are available only if Social is enabled.

Video elements are available only if v15 video measurement is configured in Admin Console.

Mobile elements are available only if mobile application reporting is enabled in Admin Console.

Factors affecting report generation time please see API best practices

Common Issues

"As the connector auto-populates based on your log in credentials you should not receive any errors related to Adobe."

• However, if you do they are referenced here.

If you have any issues please reach out to Alteryx Support

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant, Alteryx Inc. 

Comments
bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

This tool is great! I'm having some problems though.

The "Metrics" field under "Report Breakdown" isn't showing all the metrics that I can see through my Adobe Analytics UI. Is there a reason I wouldn't be able to see it?

I have no problems creating my entire report in Report Builder for Excel, but we're trying to automate this process. 

thanks.

-Bryan 

apolly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@bryanbumgardnerSorry to hear you've had issue with the current Adobe Analytics tool. We are in the process of developing a new Adobe Analytics tool and believe your issue will be resolved by the new release of the connector. That said, we are expecting a delivery of late-March or early-April for the new connector.

Please reach out with any further questions/concerns.

Alex Polly

timsmith
6 - Meteoroid

Will the new Adobe Analytics tool have the ability to pull metrics by segment?  I have a number of segments we used to pull data from Adobe Analytics so that is a critical need for us.

In addition, it would be great if the End time could be set to yesterday or today.

Tim

joeantwi
5 - Atom

Hello,

thanks for the tutorial, I'm trying to add a filter to return only specific page names that contains "WEB" for example. Is there a way to pass this filter in the tool? 

-Joseph

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi  @joeantwi

Unfortunately the tool cannot be opened nor values past into the interface due the html front end. I would suggest adding a filter after the adobe analytics tool to reduce your dataset.

Best,

Jordan

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @timsmith

Feel free to post this onto the ideas section for the developers to consider in the next iteration of the tool.

Best,

Jordan

joeantwi
5 - Atom

@JordanB

Thank you for replying, i'm trying to get data for two months and it takes forever to return results, i thought adding filter will hep but i guess that's not available...

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @joeantwi

Check out the latest version of the adobe analytics tool above. This now has a more custom date range filter you can use.

Gsandoval
5 - Atom

Hi,

@jordanB

My Adobe log in page ask for Company, user name and pwd.

On the Tool I only get ether user name an pwd or user name and secret ID.

Nether combination allows me to log in.

jamesus
5 - Atom

Hello,

Currently using V2 of the connector.

I have a use case that requires 4 Elements (Visit Number > Device > Traffic Driver > Offer). Given the cascading nature of Elements, is there a way to incorporate an additional Element into the connector? If not, how would I incorporate the 4th Element (in my case mentioned above the Offer Element)?

Thanks,

James

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jamesus

You can find the inside of the adobe analytics engine macro here C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_Macros

I would suggest taking a look at the adobe reporting API documentation to see if an additional 4th element can be added. If so, this is where it can be added.

You could then re save the macro, however because this is a html front end there would need to be additional work to add this element into the interface. 

Alternatively, you could just run the workflow as it is rather than inserting as a tool on the canvas.

Best,

Jordan

LukeAhn
5 - Atom

Does this connector still work?  I tried installing this, but it does not open up the 'Tool Installer' option.  Rather, it opens up a zipped file. 

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @LukeAhn

Yes I've just tested it and it works. You should be getting a .yxi file

Please try this link: http://downloads.alteryx.com/Tools/AdobeAnalytics_v2.yxi

Best,

Jordan

LukeAhn
5 - Atom

Thanks @JordonB !  I had to open up the URL directly.  Think it was something on my end. 

george_allen
7 - Meteor

I have a colleague who's tried the install of the connector, as have I, but we're having different results.  When my colleague attempts the install, she encounters a brief "splash screen", followed by this "empty" dialog where all that seems possible is to dismiss:

The tool installer seems to "hang" here -- any idea what the problem may be?  There's a quick "splash" screen, then this empty dialog with just the apparent option to "x" out.The tool installer seems to "hang" here -- any idea what the problem may be? There's a quick "splash" screen, then this empty dialog with just the apparent option to "x" out.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @george_allen

What version of Alteryx do you have?

Best,

Jordan

george_allen
7 - Meteor

ChrisWragge
5 - Atom

Hey Jordan,

I have a use case I was hoping you could help with. I have around 20 report suites that I need to pull the same data out of (metrics, dimensions, same segments). I know i could run these extractions all separately and then Union the results, however I was hoping to do this via a macro that just changed the report suite name. That way if I edited the workflow I would not have to repeat this process in 20 places.

Is there a relative easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisWragge
5 - Atom

And followup question - has anyone had success in adding additional metrics to the tool? I know the limit is 5, but i need about 15 for my reports which means x3 connectors across multiple report suites meaning the workflow takes about an hour to run...

IanCo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Anyone had experience of using a lower level of granularity than hour? If so, how did you do it?

fefinotto
5 - Atom

Anyone tried to login via the Developer option now? Adobe changed its API details in Adobe IO and it seems that it doesn't work. Even if I create an OAuth Integration or a Service Integration, I'm always getting this message below:

Adobe Alteryx Connector.jpg

ninasun
6 - Meteoroid

I installed the tool, logged in, configured the report, but am getting errors after many tries: tool#43 and tool#51.

My alteryx is version 2018.3. The tool version is AdobeAnalytics_v2.0.1.yxi

Can anyone tell me what I'm not doing right? Thanks for your help!

2-11-2019 10-29-57 AM.png

TeeOffData
6 - Meteoroid

Any plans to release an updated version of the connector leveraging Report API 2.0?

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

I am encountering the same errors as ninasun. 

Error: Adobe Analytics (2): Tool #43: Cannot find macro "AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_Macros\adobe-analytics-report.get.yxmc".
Error: Adobe Analytics (2): Tool #51: Cannot find macro "AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_Macros\adobe-analytics-parsing.yxmc".

Please advise how to resolve this error

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mkav9893  & @ninasun  please submit a case to support@alteryx.com 

jannekol
5 - Atom

Hi,

Just installed this tool and it's very needed. I can connect to Adobe but when I run workflow I get error Cannot find macro "AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_macros\adobe-analytics-report.get.yxmc". When I searched this macro I found out that it's located in C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\AdobeAnalytics_v2.0.1\Supporting_Macros. Is there a way fix this new address?

Cheers

Janne

jaylewis
5 - Atom

@mkav9893@ninasun, and @jannekol - 

I had the same error and found a simple hack that resolved it. The tool seems to be looking for macros within AdobeAnalytics\ instead of AdobeAnalytics_v2.0.1. So I made a duplicate of the v_2.0.1 folder and renamed it AdobeAnalytics\. After restarting Alteryx, the tool finds the macros it needs. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.45.35 AM.png

CC @JordanB 

jeanfgomess1
6 - Meteoroid

@jaylewis thank you very much!!! :)

ecarpe15
5 - Atom

Anyone ever solve this problem?

Anyone tried to login via the Developer option now? Adobe changed its API details in Adobe IO and it seems that it doesn't work. Even if I create an OAuth Integration or a Service Integration, I'm always getting this message below:

Adobe Alteryx Connector.jpg

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately I could not get to the level of detail needed for reporting by this macro. The workaround that I have implemented is the following:

1. scheduled report within Adobe Analytics warehouse drops report on specified basis

2. utilize the download tool to download file from ftp to local/server drive, see below

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/File-Transfer-Protocol-FTP-Upload/t...

3. utilize dynamic input tool that finds the file from local/server drive that is referenced within the workflow

rwilding
6 - Meteoroid

Hi There, 

These instructions are out of date, as adobe has updated their API manager - your links are also out of date. This makes it had to navigate the details of the connection. Personally, I cannot get a connection using this connector - I always get an error!!

TeeOffData
6 - Meteoroid

@ecarpe & Arwilding.  

If you are an admin and you navigate to user management you can set up a legacy oauth connection.

Just validated; a new connection works fine.

rwilding
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

Could an Alteryx Rep please answer this...

Your Adobe connector currently leverages the 1.4 API - which will be discontinued in two months (2020). As I understand it, we will no longer be able to use 1.4 and will be forced to use 2.0 and higher. When will this connector be updated?

Furthermore, when there are multiple organizations in the account - the dropdown randomly switches between the segments under each org. Basically, we cannot rely on this connector as is currently stands. Please advise.

Many Thanks, 

ecarpe15
5 - Atom

I had a job that used to work and recently got this error message below.  Could this be related to above comment? 

API Method API Response Response JSON Report Description Report ID
Report.Queue HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 22:03:52 GMT
Server: Apache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Vary: x-api-uri-scheme,Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Access-Control-A... {"error":"system_failure","error_description":"A system failure has occurred (7000)","error_uri":null} :

spenc215
5 - Atom

I have followed the instructions as outlined above, and was able to download-install the Adobe Analytics Connector. However, when I get to "Select Segments to Include" while setting parameters, the Tool seems to time out and I get 2 errors

"Tool#43: Cannot find macro "AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_Macros\adobe-analytics-report.get.yxmc'

Tool#51: Cannot find macro "AdobeAnalytics\Supporting_Macros\adobe-analytics-parsing.yxmc'

When the tool installs, it is stored on my C: drive (C:\Users\........\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools’ and I see the install there, and the .yxmc files the tool claims in cannot find. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing a few different ways, changing the location where the .yxi is found, and under User Settings, setting the macro location to reference where the .yxi is stored. None of these have fixed the problem.

Any ideas? I'm really at a dead end and my company would greatly benefit from pulling this data into Alteryx. THANK YOU!!!!

*** I use Alteryx Designer 2019.3 x64***

spenc215_1-1580946926418.png

spenc215_0-1580946892429.png

TeeOffData
6 - Meteoroid

Spenc, this doesn't answer your question - but one thing to keep in mind is that the method of authentication this relies on is reaching end of life in November - so be aware that later this year the workflow will need to be rebuilt.  Depending on your use case, a more durable method is using datawarehouse to FTP and using Alteryx to grab files from there.

Emmytwirl
5 - Atom

Are you able to set this up as a server connection that users would use on the server, and not on their desktops?

Inactive User
Not applicable

I was worried about this macro no longer working when Adobe retires the 1.4 API, but Adobe is only retiring the 1.4 SOAP Analytics API (pushed out to April 30th 2021).

This macro uses the 1.4 Analytics REST API

If you open the macro you can see the endpoint: 'https://api.omniture.com/admin/1.4/rest/?method=Report.Queue&access_token=' + [access_token]