Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Output to an Excel Template File

AndrewL
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Question

Can an excel template be updated if the incoming information is not in a block form?  Say I want to fill in a form from an existing list into something like this template.

CasingSheetImage.png

Answer

This is a question we get from time to time. There are a few options on how to do this, the below provided by

Attachments
Comments
Nick_Yarbrough
8 - Asteroid

Afternoon,

I was using Option 1, mentioned above, and would often times open the file after Alteryx had run to find that some tabs had been deleted. I could never find a pattern, because it was never the same tabs that would be deleted.

Capture.PNG

In this senario i would output to the output tabs and agregate them into the Summary tab. Each output was blocked by a Block Until Done so Alteryx wasnt trying to access the in-use file.

Have you all seen this before and/or know of any fixes?

My work around was to output to File A and put my summary in File B that refferenced File A. Definitely not ideal due to the limitations of Excel.

Windows 7

Alteryx 10.5

Excel 2010

Hope this helps,

Nick

yanick
5 - Atom

Good morning,

I created a workflow that splits 1 file into multiple excel files (into specific template).  The issue I have is that its is also adding the column titles that are already in my template, so I get the column title in duplicate (in red below).  Any idea how I could avoid this? workflow.PNG

Numéro de client RogersNuméro de client SAGIRNom du client (org membre du regroupement )
Numéro de client RogersNuméro de client SAGIRNom du client (org membre du regroupement )
QM0445CP2445Agence du revenu du Québec
QM0445CP2445Agence du revenu du Québec

thanks

MangoBro
7 - Meteor

I had similar issue. My work around of getting rid of fields is renaming those headers to whatever desired one row above the output data in the spreadsheet. For empty cell, you can rename the field name as " " (make sure you have at least one space there). Fortunately it will be trimmed in the spreadsheet output.

Greenlama254
8 - Asteroid

Hi Andrew, I am too struggling to use my data and use that to fill a template to send out letters. Each row would contain data for a specific client who would receive a letter based on that template filled in specific places with the output of the flow. It would not even have to be an excel template, as long as I can send out a letter filled in specific places of that letter. 

Just started not too long ago with Alteryx and am still discovering all the possibilities of the tooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger