Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Gathering User Input Row by Row, Using R

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora
Created

Question

Can a workflow gather user input row-by-row while processing a dataset? If so, how?

Answer

Yes, you can use various GUI packages in R to displaydialogs and gather user input. Among other packages, the gWidgets2 and RGtk2 packages work together nicely to provide the ginput function, which can - all by itself - suffice for displaying the field's original value, and gathering a replacement value. See the attached v10.5 workflow for a very simple example.

Attachments
Comments
mfy
5 - Atom

Hi John,

I downloaded your loopuserinputwithR workflow. However, I am having issues downloading and installing the RGtk2 package in R tool. I need some guidance about how to download the package in the Alteryx. What is the best way to install and use this package?

Thanks

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi Mehmet,

I'm not sure why it might pose an issue, other than possibly version, based on a quick Google search which turned up this result: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44046055/error-in-installing-packages-rgtk2-and-rattle-in-r

Are you experiencing anything similar?  Also if you have an IT support group, this is right up their alley to dive in and figure out, (e.g. there may be permissions-related issues that they can work around).

Hope that helps!

John

mfy
5 - Atom

Thank you John,

It was really helpful.

So, I was able to download the package using a mirror. 

install.packages("RGtk2", depen=T, repos="http://cran.us.r-project.org")

I figured that, the problem is loading the the "RGtk2".

Once you run the "library(RGtk2)" to import the package, I get following error.

mfy_0-1624900369507.png

By the way, it is interesting that, Alteryx support team is having the same issue once they run the code.

Thanks

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

From the error message, it looks like it also wants GTK+ to be installed.  Can you verify that is also installed?