Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Gathering User Input Row by Row, Using R

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora
Created

Question

Can a workflow gather user input row-by-row while processing a dataset? If so, how?

Answer

Yes, you can use various GUI packages in R to displaydialogs and gather user input. Among other packages, the gWidgets2 and RGtk2 packages work together nicely to provide the ginput function, which can - all by itself - suffice for displaying the field's original value, and gathering a replacement value. See the attached v10.5 workflow for a very simple example.

Attachments
Comments
mfy
5 - Atom

Hi John,

I downloaded your loopuserinputwithR workflow. However, I am having issues downloading and installing the RGtk2 package in R tool. I need some guidance about how to download the package in the Alteryx. What is the best way to install and use this package?

Thanks

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi Mehmet,

I'm not sure why it might pose an issue, other than possibly version, based on a quick Google search which turned up this result: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44046055/error-in-installing-packages-rgtk2-and-rattle-in-r

Are you experiencing anything similar?  Also if you have an IT support group, this is right up their alley to dive in and figure out, (e.g. there may be permissions-related issues that they can work around).

Hope that helps!

John

mfy
5 - Atom

Thank you John,

It was really helpful.

So, I was able to download the package using a mirror. 

install.packages("RGtk2", depen=T, repos="http://cran.us.r-project.org")

I figured that, the problem is loading the the "RGtk2".

Once you run the "library(RGtk2)" to import the package, I get following error.

mfy_0-1624900369507.png

By the way, it is interesting that, Alteryx support team is having the same issue once they run the code.

Thanks

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

From the error message, it looks like it also wants GTK+ to be installed.  Can you verify that is also installed?