Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Fun with Network Analysis Tool: How to Add Custom Pictures to All Icons

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

We had a fun question in the solutions center at Inspire this year. A customer showed us the sample for network analysis and asked us if it is possible to create one that has a picture for each icon.

2017-06-27_15-21-55.png

We've provided a sample workflow (attached) that you can use as a reference to add as many pictures as needed.

2017-06-27_15-25-04.png

Please note that the field names are case sensitive.

Happy Visualizing!

Attachments
Comments
shaynie
8 - Asteroid

Very cool to add pictures to the network chart.  I'm trying to color code to differentiate  the "to" and "from" data.  I'd also love to be able to have wider or narrower connector lines, similar to the first picture in the post.  Can't figure out how to do it!  Thanks!

shaynie
8 - Asteroid

Just found out the width of the lines can be changed by adding a "weight" column in the Nodes input (in addition to "to" and "from").  Now, trying to figure out how to change colors!

shaynie
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, prior comment should refer to the "edges"  input.  Still learning! :)

shaynie
8 - Asteroid

OK, I apologize for responding to my own post!  Found the instructions for the first network example (shown at top).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDZIc02SkQ

Thanks!

SD3
6 - Meteoroid

Is there a more correct place to download and install the R Package. I am getting an error saying the AlteryxRPluginEngine.dll Could not be loaded . Hence my Network Diagram is not working 

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@SD3 that error usually means you don't have the predictive tools installed. Follow the instructions to do so here, making sure the version of the predictive tools you download/install matches your version of Designer.

Agarwal_Yash91
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

This looks really good, I was exploring the attached workflow and trying to understand how column shape is working?

so if we want to have some other shape say triangle for couple of individuals, just changing shape column value from "circularImage" to "triangularImage" will work?

What changes are made to existing network analysis tool are made to add these images and shape?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Agarwal_Yash91 from what I can tell by inspecting the viz's source code, the options for the shape field are... 

"ellipse","circle","database","box","text","image","circularImage","diamond","dot","star","triangle","triangleDown","square","icon"

With only "image" and "circularImage" working for images.

NeilR_0-1627060604794.png

Agarwal_Yash91
8 - Asteroid

@NeilR thanks for the input. it really helped.

one last part I am trying to achieve , can we get rid of stats present in right side of the HTML output? only thing we want is interactive chart showing relationships.

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Agarwal_Yash91 one thing you could do is alter the underlying HTML code of the output. I inspected the HTML and noted that the IDs for the DIVs we need to hide are graphbox and centrality. See here for workflow attachment.