Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Alteryx for Excel Users: How to do a VLOOKUP in Alteryx

WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

VLOOKUP is one of the most commonly used functions is Excel. VLOOKUP takes a lookup value and finds that value in the first column of a lookup range. Complete the function's syntax by specifying the column number to return from the range. In other words, VLOOKUP is a join. One column of data is joined to a specified range to return a set of values from that range.

The objective of this posting is twofold:

1. Demonstrate how a VLOOKUP can be done using Alteryx.

2. Demonstrate how a VLOOKUP can actually be easier to do in Alteryx.

For the sake of argument, let's say we have two worksheets in one Excel file. Sheet 1 contains a master list of sales data. The data looks like this:

VLOOKUP 02.png

Sheet 2 contains a select list of sales people and contains First Name and Last Name:

VLOOKUP 01.png

Using a VLOOKUP function, we want to take the list of sales people, match it to sales peoplefound in Sheet 1 and return sales data for each sales person. Notice our list of sales people in Sheet 2 has two sales people named'Angelina'. Sheet 1 has multiple people named'Angelina' and 'Michael'. Using First Name alone will not return reliable results using VLOOKUP. Further, matching on Last Name - or even a concatenation of both First Name and Last Name - isn't always reliable either. There are a lot of 'Michael Thomas's in the world and several may exist in your data range. The best way to complete our VLOOKUP is to use a unique identifier for each sales person. But again, for the sake of argument, let's say each First Name and Last Name combination produces a unique name/identifier.

The first thing we need to do is do is concatenate First Name and Last Name in a new field.

VLOOKUP 03.png

We'll do the same thing with our data in Sheet 2. For VLOOKUPs to work properly, the data must be sorted. In our case, we'll sort both Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 in ascending order on 'Concatenated Name':

VLOOKUP 04.png

Now we're ready to use our =VLOOKUP function:

VLOOKUP 05.png

It worked! Let's see how do the same thing in Alteryx. (Hint: there's more than just one way to do it).

We'll start by bringing in our data from Sheets 1 and 2:

VLOOKUP 06.png

VLOOKUP 07.png

As with the Excel example, we'll concatenate First Name and Last Name in a new field. For clarity, let's name the concatenated name in Sheet 1 'Full Name' and Sheet 2 'New Name'. We'll do this using a Formula Tool expression:

VLOOKUP 08.png

VLOOKUP 09.png

Finally, let's attach a Find Replace Tool where Sheet 2 attaches to the 'F' input of Find Replace and Sheet 1 attaches to the 'R'.

VLOOKUP 10.png

The configuration for the Find Replace looks like this:

VLOOKUP 11.png

Notice 'Sales' is selected under 'Append Field(s) to Record'. When we run the workflow, we get the sales data by sales person just like we did in Excel:

VLOOKUP 12.png

But there's an even simpler way to perform a VLOOKUP in Alteryx! Simply join the two Sheets with a Join Tool.

VLOOKUP 13.png

Take a look at how the Join is configured:

VLOOKUP 14.png

We joined our data on First Name andLast Name without having to concatenate the two fields first. Further, we selected the sales data we want returned in the same Join Tool.

VLOOKUP 15.png

Alteryx has an added advantage over Excel's VLOOKUP function. Let's say you want to return Sales and Opportunities. With Alteryx, this can be handled in a single Join. With Excel, we would need to do multiple VLOOKUPs.

Attachments
Comments
Lizzie
6 - Meteoroid

Also, if you put the unique tool you can essentially create a "look up table" to join with the file that you are trying to fill in. 

ibrahimtorunergil
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am stuck on one thing. Let's say I have two data first is (client name and amount) and second is (client name and cities). I have got city names for some clients, not all.

I want to bring city names to my first data without eliminating clients which don't have cities.

When I do it with "join" tool, it brings me intersection, or data not covered on either side. (you know "join" tool has three output options). How can I solve this problem?

Thank you

Note: I can do it by "find & replace" tool, just want to learn how to do it with "join".

sudeshnasen
7 - Meteor

Use a union tool to append the rows from the intersection and the rows from either L or R whichever has the remaining data

virendergosain
5 - Atom

Hi 

If someone can help me in putting a vlookup.

I have two sheet

Sheet 1 Info

GL Account

Sheet 2 Info

GL AccountCorresponding GL

virendergosain
5 - Atom

Hi 

If someone can help me in putting a vlookup.

I have two sheet

Sheet 1 Info

GL Account

Sheet 2 Info

GL Account    Corresponding GL

1001    2345

1002    4234

1003    77789

1004    12345

1005    2564

Now I want to use vlookup similar to excel to get  Corresponding GL from Sheet 2 to sheet 1 in different column

Thanks

Virender

rag-ryx
9 - Comet

Virender,

This could be done in various ways. I have used the Find & Replace tool. PFB the screenshot.

Hope this helps.

rag-ryx_0-1590006549542.png

Best,

Raghav

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Awesome Knowledge.