Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

more noob batch macro questions

DADE
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow that is handling too much data for my pc to handle. Given that the amount of data is too big for my pc too handle in 1 time, I basically split my data geographically into provinces and also into different years.

So the process is as follows:

I have 1 workflow that basically prepares an input file for the next workflow per year and per province.

In the next workflow i need to iterate over those files and run the flow separately on each one of them generating an output file per year and per province. 

I turned both of those into batch macros and I call them from 2 workflows.

The first workflow calls the first batch macro by  having 2 macro inputs but in the workflow the macro gives me 3 inputs. (group by) 

The second workflow takes as input all the files in a specific folder and calls the 2nd batch macro by a control parameter and updates the input file location.

My problem is that none of the batch macros seem to work as intended. On top of that the second batch macro should in fact iterate over the years since the results of 1 year influence the results of the next year. Do I understand correctly that a batch macro gives you the possibility to run a workflow for each input without having to read everything into memory? Because that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Or do I need an iterative macro in this case?

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DADE ,

"too much to handle?"

Using 2020.2 and the AMP runtime engine and you may sing another tune.  But for me, I regularly run processes with hundred of millions of records and find harmony on my computers. 

This afternoon I'm open after 2:30 pm and can look at this with you. I will send you a private message and we can review together. 

a batch macro alone may actually cause the workflow to run longer depending upon your incoming data structures. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DADE ,

We modified the input file to be a dynamic input.  Change the control to update a filter on a directory....

Minor changes, but big results.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels