Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

lock developed marco or woklflow files

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey!

Is it possible to lock my developed macros or workflow files?

So that an other person is not allowed to change my files!

9 REPLIES 9
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Hey Mathias,

yes it is, try out the Encrypt option on the File menu (v9) or Options -> Advanced Settings (v10)

Regards

Chris

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Mathias,

Just keep a copy of an Un-Encripted for yourself !

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey Chris,

o.k. i have found the encrypted option. But that is not what I need.

It should still be possible to work with workflow or marco. But the user should be not allowed to editing, change  the workflow.

When I open an encripted alterxy file, you only get the modal dialog ".. the document can't be open for editing".

The user has never a chance to see an to work with the workflow.

Is there an other possibility?

Regards

Mathias

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey!

I have check the feature again.

You can insert an encrypted marco and use the marco for a different workflow!

But you can not use an encrypted workflow!

Regards

Mathias

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Encryption basically means you can't see or edit the contents of the workflow. So encrypting a workflow doesn't really have any use.

Encypting a macro is useful if you want to share the macro but not allow people to see the underlying code, e.g. if you are reselling and want to keep your IP.

It sounds like you want to share a macro/workflow but allow people to view but not edit it. To do this the only possibility is to add it to a network share where they can view, but not overwrite the original. The downside is they can copy the workflow and edit it and save it elsewhere.

Assuming this isn't good enough then can you give more details of your use case? What purpose do you have for sharing a workflow people can't edit? It may be this would make a good product enhancement but I'm struggling to see why you'd need it.

Chris

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Chris,

I think you are right.

But for a user it can be necessary to leave him a deployment completly. And do not accept that the user develop the workflow for his purposes Man Wink

I think so.

Have a nice weekend

Mathias

sandeep_chayanam
8 - Asteroid

Any of you know if there an option to unlock/decrypt an encrypted macro?

Regards,

Sandeep.

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Sorry guys,

But once the encryption is done, cannot be undone (at least from within Alteryx).

That´s why I recommended a couple of posts ago, to keep an unencrypted version for yourself.

fardeen9983
8 - Asteroid

I am going through the same requirement of keeping my macros secure as the input files I have exported with it needs to be encrypted. They contain auth secrets. So instead of encrypting the entire macro or file, I need the input tool to be encrypted and the rest of the macro to editable. Is there any way to achieve this

Labels