Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to convert string 2019.06 into date 2019-06

ankit_singh_
6 - Meteoroid

how to convert string 2019.06 into date 2019-06

8 REPLIES 8
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ankit_singh_ ,

you could use the function DateTimeParse to convert the string to a date, DateTimeParse([Field1], '%Y.%m') would result in the date 2019-06-01 (day is missing in the string, so 1st of month is assumed). If you need "2019-06" as an output (would be a string field) you could use DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Field1], '%Y.%m'), '%Y-%m') thereby formating the date in the required format YYYY-MM. This would be possible using simple replacement (e.g. Replace([Field1], '.', '-')

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Roland

delilah
8 - Asteroid

キャプチャ.JPG

@ankit_singh_ Formula tool and DateTime Parse tool both work with this.

ankit_singh_
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your valuable idea but i want to convert the data type of this field1 to date, so let me know in which way i can achieve it?

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @ankit_singh_ ,

I think this is the easiest approach - just use the datetime parse option - see image attached. You'll get an additional field in date format and retain the original field.

Date conversion.png

ankit_singh_
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your valuable idea but i want to convert the data type of this field1 to date datatype and want my output to be 2019-06

so let me know in which way i can achieve it?

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi,

It can't be a date and only a year and month, as that is not a valid date format. Technically speaking (you'll see this even in databases), '2019-06-01' is a year & month, but the date format requires that a value is entered for the day (even if it is irrelevant). So for the entire month of June 2019, the date version of the month is 2019-06-01. 

To add, the 2nd column in my example is of a date format - so you can just use that if it must be in date format. If you can live with a string, you can simply use a substring in a formula tool instead.

ankit_singh_
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Tom for your valuable assistance!

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Happy to help! All the best.

Labels