Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

email the attachment only when the attachement has data in it

harsha_rappan
7 - Meteor

Hello,

1. I create workflows and the output is stored in excel spreadsheet, I attach the spreadsheet to an email and send the email to the user.

2. I schedule the workflows in Alteryx gallery to run once a week, lets say on every Monday.

3. Not every Monday will the output have data in the spreadsheet.

4. The output or the spreadsheet will have data only on certain Mondays, not every Monday of the year.

5. I will schedule the workflow to run every Monday and the workflow should run successfully.

6. My requirement: I want the emails to be generated only when the spreadsheet or the attachment has data generated, if there is no data, DO NOT GENERATE THE EMAIL

7. I don't want to send emails unnecessarily to the users every Monday.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Regards,

Harsha Rappan

4 REPLIES 4
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

CReW Macros has a Blocking Test macro that should help with your problem. You would first use the Count Records tool to determine if there is any data coming in from your data source, and then feed that into your Blocking Test tool to stop the workflow from running if no data exists. I've attached a simple example that outputs to an excel file if there is any data available for output. You would want to connect this before either your Email tool or your file output. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1586896311353.png

harsha_rappan
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the sharing the workflow, unfortunately my alteryx version is an older version, the blocking test macro is not supported, we are having issues with upgrading to newer versions.

Any other solution with basic tools available in the older version? Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Harsha Rappan 

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @harsha_rappan 

Sorry to hear that the Blocking Test macro didn't work for you. It's basically a user friendly version of the Message tool on the Developer tab. Attached is another workflow that recreates what the Blocking Test macro does, only this should use all existing tools that are available to you. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1586976671856.png

Please let me know if this new version works for you.

Thanks!

Phil

maamek
7 - Meteor

This helped immensely! Thank you!!!

Labels