Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wrench icon missing on Publish to Tableau Server Tool

menorah84
5 - Atom

I am adding Publish to Tableau Server tool to Alteryx Server Usage Report macro, so our publishing of updated workbook will be automated.

I watched some guide in Youtube on how to use the Publish to Tableau Server tool

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1F0m-8_OXLg

However, when I try to drag the tool on my canvas, the Configuration doesn't show the same options as in the video.

menorah84_1-1574496625480.png

The wrench icon with Connection and Output tab is not there. The Publish to Tableau Server tool version is 2.0 and Alteryx Designer is 2019.1. What am I missing? 

Also, has someone done connecting this to Alteryx Server Usage Report macro to automate publishing? Can someone point out to me where is the best place to put this in the macro workflow? I am fairly new to Alteryx, so I am still grasping parts of it. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@menorah84 

The tool used in the video (which is from 2015) is an older version of the tool which explains the difference. Is there anything in particular you were looking for the old tool does and the new one doesn't.

In the AlteryxServerUsage workflow, you can connect the Publish to TS macro to the D output of the usage macro.

publish-tableau.png

menorah84
5 - Atom

Thanks for responding MichalM.

In the newer version of the tool (v2.0.0), I don't know where will I put data source and project.

menorah84_0-1574657201188.png

menorah84_1-1574657404079.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@menorah84 

There should be a Connect button on the bottom of this screen. 

publish-tableau-connect.png

Once you sign in, you will be prompted to specify the project and data source.

publish-tableau1.png

menorah84
5 - Atom

A follow-up question:

Does connecting the "Usage Report Macro" through the D output to "Publish to Tableau Server", will output and publish the workbook as well?

Because, when I went to the Server, what was published was only the Data Source (.tde) and not the workbook itself.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@menorah84 

The Publish to Tableau Server tool will only publish the data - tde or hyper. You can publish the workbook from your Tableau Desktop and use the data source published via the Alteryx workflow.

Labels