Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Waiting between tools

SDeora
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I tried using the Wait-A-Second tool by CReW but I'm facing an issue... maybe I'm missing something. I have an input file sending data to 2 browse tools and I have Wait for 30 seconds on the second browse tool. But it seems the workflow waits 30 seconds after running and then sends data to the browse tools at the same time.

Am I using this correctly? 

SDeora_1-1582263293133.png

8 REPLIES 8
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Use a Block until Done tool after your Text Input tool, connect the 1st output to the 1st Browse, then connect the 2nd output to the Wait tool.

SDeora
7 - Meteor

I tried this and it worked for a simple test workflow I created to be able to post here. 

But now when i use the same approach for my actual (much larger) workflow. it seems to add the total wait time (of 3 wait a second tools) before starting the workflow.

I'm now considering creating my own macro to handle wait time. any suggestions ? 

CAJay
6 - Meteoroid

solution which I could think of using R tool, on Alteryx wait issue please find below

Basically 2 tools are being used to arrive at the solution –

Block until Done and R language Tool

Under Block until done tool

1st  Stage add R Language tool and run below script – (”30” in script means 30 seconds , which can be changed accordingly)

2nd Stage add the relevant tool needed as per your requirement

CAJay_0-1658226254486.png

CAJay_1-1658226254129.png

R Script below

testit <- function(x)

{

p1 <- proc.time()

Sys.sleep(x)

proc.time() - p1 # The cpu usage should be negligible

}

testit(30)

arunkumark_21
7 - Meteor

arunkumark_21_0-1681456256360.png

Simple powershell oneliner worked for me

Jeyez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I was trying to find and download this Wait a Second tool for a while. Could you please let me know where did you find/ download it? Thanks

CAJay
6 - Meteoroid

Hello

i don’t think they tool is currently available, hence we have to find alternatives as above options using R or another using power-shell, please give it a try

Hope above solutions work

Thanx 

aschuster
5 - Atom

What did you use for your input or output to get the Powershell to work?  I need to use this after a download before the next download for multiple API steps. 

arunkumark_21
7 - Meteor

Aschuster. To make the command tool to work you should either provide an input or an output.

I just created a dummy txt file as output. 

As CAJay pointed out,

- use a block until done after your first API get

- you can do the second API get from second or third node of Block until done

- First node of Block until done you can use to call the command tool/R tool for the delay. 

Labels