Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using summary tool to summarize data

crtakacs
8 - Asteroid

This may be a fairly simple thing to do but I'm new to the summary tool and unsure how to create what I need. 

I have a workflow that dynamically pulls in owner numbers and creates different tabs with different views. One tab needs to show a view similar to what is in my data system that is summarized as shown below. The data is collapsed and summarized as shown, but when I pull in the data to my workflow I get the data as if it were expanded (over 2000 lines instead of the 9 line summary I'd like to see).

So I have a summary tool configured as shown below and it gives me 9 lines of data. But I'm not sure how to now take those 9 lines of data, and incorporate it back into my original data set, essentially telling my workflow to now summarize all my data, including all the columns from my data set view, based on the 9 unique summary identifiers that it found.

Data Set View.PNG

Workflow view.PNG

Summary view.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @crtakacs 

You can do this in a couple of ways;

The first would be to use a join tool to bring together the Summarized data and then join based on a similar field in your full dataset. This will then bring the 9 rows of data onto your full dataset.

Or you could complete this all within the summarize tool. What are the other fields of data you will be appending to the 9 rows you have shown in your screenshot?

Regards

Will

rohanwaghere
7 - Meteor

>>But I'm not sure how to now take those 9 lines of data, and incorporate it back into my original data set, essentially telling my workflow to now >>summarize all my data, including all the columns from my data, set view, based on the 9 unique summary identifiers that it found.

For this, you can use the Union tool, using which can be used to combine multiple data streams based on common field names or positions(for problem specific to yours - you might want to check out the 'manual option'). In the output, each column will contain data from each input and records will be "stacked" vertically depending on your Union tool configuration.

crtakacs
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply.

The other fields I'd be appending are the additional columns shown in the data set view. So I'd like it to take each of the 9 summary rows it found (first screenshot below), and then create 9 summary rows that have  all 15 columns shown in the data system set (second screenshot below).

But to add to this, some of the 15 columns have different data within them if you expand the dataset. For example, the first column has numerous OA_IDs within one summarized (collapsed row) so I just need it to take the first OA_ID it identifies and place it in the summarized row. There are also numerous "Prod Dt" instances within one summarized (collapsed row) for which I just need it to take the most recent Prod Dt if identifies for that summarized view row. I'm sure I'm not explaining this in easiest way. 

Summarized Data.PNG

Data Set View.PNG

rohanwaghere
7 - Meteor

Yes. It's not the easiest way you are explaining. It's still unclear as to what is it that you are trying to accomplish(at least for me). For example, you mentioned taking the most recent Prod Dt, which wasn't mentioned until now. So it becomes difficult to suggest a clear solution to an unclear stated problem. 

However, so far, what I infer is, you not only simply want to append the summarized data to the original dataset but you also need to append it a specific manner. Specific manner being, after an OA_ID and a particular Prod Dt(recent, in this case). So if it is this, then I think first you'd need to segregate original dataset into parts after which you'd want to append the data. Upon doing to appending the summarized data to it, and then finally merging all the appended data together. 

Labels