Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a formula to find strings in two fields

SandSlinky
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I'm trying to search for a list of words and phrases in two separate fields ("Story" and "Blurb). I want to treat them a little differently depending on which field they appear in. I have assigned certain importance weights (a score of 1-3) to each word / phrase, which will be taken as the result if they appear in the field "Story". If they appear in the field "Blurb", however, I want to add 3 points to this output. Using the "Summarize" function, the sum of this output is taken to result in a total score.

I have tried doing this in various ways, including the method in the screenshot below, using two separate formulas within a single "Formula" function to result in the same output column, "Found". However, this does not seem to be working, as I am getting the same results as before I entered the formula for the "Blurb" field, even in cases where words from my search list do appear in that field. Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

SandSlinky_0-1590354389795.png

21 REPLIES 21
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thank you for reaching out and staying patient with us. Could you accept @deviseetharaman's post as a solution accepted if you no longer have any queries related to this community thread? 

SandSlinky
7 - Meteor

`Just did!

Labels