Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using List Box To Feed Input / Feed Into Text Entry Box / Something

brianscott
11 - Bolide

I must be missing something easy. 

I need to give the user a set of options.  The choose one or more values from the list.  I've tried a lot of combinations and they all bonk, sometimes allowing the tool to give me ridiculous error messages.  Here is what I have tried:

1. Populating a list box, then pushing down to a text entry box.   Trying to join full result set with replaced value in text box.  In this case, I do not have the options to allow for multiple inputs at assign time in the action; i.e., if I don't know if the user will select one or twenty checkboxes, I cannot attach to [c1], [c2]....  Also didn't seem to work in any case if I only choose one value.  (see textBoxFails.yxwz) 
  2. Populating a list box, then attaching to a filter and attempting to filter out from entire result set from standard input.  (see filterFail.yxwz)
  3. Populating a dynamic input box and replacing a where clause to push in the choices made by the user. Never any output in the log, despite the fact that I know I am selecting valid values.  (cannot publish example to my data source)

This has to be easy and I have to be missing something.  Help me, gurus, you're my only hope.

brian

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

here is some quick help for you....

I use a manual list of values and then apply those selected boxes to a filter.

Capture.png

The configuration for the check boxes is to create a list of values such that it can replace 'XYZ' in the filter.

Capture.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hi Mark - 

You save me, once again!  Your solution works as advertised and brings happiness into my Monday morning.  Thank you! 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
I'm glad to lend you a helping hand.

Happy emoji day,
Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
dcraft
7 - Meteor

Good afternoon,

I am struggling with a similar concept, and just can't seem to get the checked items to update the filter tool. Is there configuration of the Action tool I'm missing? This seems so simple, yet I'm at a loss... any thoughts? I have attached my current configuration.

dcraft
7 - Meteor

Here is the attachment

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@dcraft Close! In the action tool, you need to 1) select the line you want to change and 2) select the text you want to replace at the bottom. When you run this an an app (using the magic wand) this seems to work for me now.

Annotation 2019-08-09 083851.jpg

dcraft
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the help - simple solution, but needed after several rounds (and too much time) with trial and error.

Have a great day!

Labels