Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User specified numeric input

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

"Numeric Up Down" or "Find & Replace" might be part of a solution but ... 

I'd like to be able to enter a numeric value into an Input Data Table (or the Formula Tool ).  My user specified Input Data Table would have one row for data and a field with a unique string would be used later to Join to another Input Data Table.  Another field for the user input.

9 REPLIES 9
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You would typically use an Action tool to update the value of something in a formula or text input tool. Action tools, in turn, are updated from interface tools such as numeric up/down.

action tools.png

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the advice to use the text input tool.  

App results: There Were No Output Files

I don't want to output a file.  I only want to send the numeric value downstream to a Union tool.

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

How would i i use the Numeric up down with Text input and keep the output in the workflow?

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

In other words, how do i get around this?

App Results.PNG

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @Darren1

The no outputs just means that no files (like Excel, etc) were created. So if you didn't mean to create any then this is what you'd expect to see.

The inputs are used in your workflow by unioning, appending, etc them. 

Important thing to bear in mind is that by inputs from an app interface are only taken into account when you run your workflow as an app. If you just run it normally, these values won't be incorporated.

Cheers

Kat

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

@kat 

When I Run as Analytic App the downstream value doesn't change. 

User input (Before).PNG

User input.PNG

User input (After).PNG

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @Darren1

Sorry - this is what I was trying to allude to in my prior message. If run the workflow in normal mode (i.e. by clicking Run (green button)) it won't read the inputs from the app layer. Only if you run it as an app (with the wand), will it work.

To see that output you need to enable the browse tool in the designer output. Try going to the interface designer (CTRL + ALT + D) and go to the wrench symbol. Select the browse tool output.

Cheers

Kat

Darren1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @kat for the advise to select the Browse tool (and the short cut keys to get to the Interface designer)

Browse enabled now.

Enable Browse.PNG

But still no change to the Source amount when run as an app.

App Results (Browse Enabled).PNG

kat
12 - Quasar

Oh I see it now, it's the positioning of the action tool. 

Put a formula tool in your workflow in which you select the 'SOURCE' column as the column to do the formula tool. Then type in any number. Link the update tool to this and choose to update (replace) this number with your numeric up down.

numeric2.PNGnumeric1.PNG 

Hope this helps!

Kat

Labels