Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use Action to select an output

NigelW
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow that has multiple outputs.

Each output filters the data differently.

I want to be able to use the Action tool to ask the user which output to use and only use that output.

This way they are not getting 5 files and having to pick the right one.

Best case scenario is to then be able to email that file.

Anybody done anything like this?

thanks

Nigel

6 REPLIES 6
smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@NigelW --

While I haven't personally done anything like that, if your workflow is an app, I would imagine you could use radio buttons to have a user choose which output they would like. The radio buttons would be connected to an Action tool and each output would be put in a container. The chose radio button would be configured to open that container while all others would be closed.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Seth

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @NigelW 

Unfortunately, you can't have interface tools in disabled containers and this applies to macro output tools. Sorry @smoskowitz, good suggestion though. Edit: comment doesn't apply to non macro output tools

You can try a variation on this technique.    

w.png

The action tool updates the N field in the sample tool with either 100000000 or 0  depending on radio button state.  There's one radio button and connected logic per macro output.  The effect of this is to have 0 records on all the outputs except the selected one.  You can couple this with some logic in the calling workflow to send emails or not based on record count

In practice you end up with this

o.png

Edit: on rereading your original post, I now realize that you're referring to an app as opposed to a Macro.  The same technique would work, just applied to the app interface with the action tools in your main workflow 

Dan

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Thank you @danilang! I clearly didn't communicate myself correctly. I believe the interface tools (Radio Button/Action tool) would be outside of any containers. The containers would house the Data Prep/Report pieces. Depending which radio button was select would dictate which container was opened, 

I think that is possible?

Thanks,

Seth

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @smoskowitz,

Like I mentioned in the edit to my previous message, I misread the situation.  The solution given there applies to macros and not apps.

Your suggestion should work in an app, as long as you remember that a checked radio button will deselect each container it's connected to, so you need to connect each radio button to all the containers except the one you want displayed.  With 3 outputs, connect radio button 1 to container 2 and 3, RB 2 to container 1 and 3 and RB 3 to  container 1 and 2

Dan

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@danilang --

Gotcha! I didn't see the edit, just read the email message, 

Sorry for the confusion.

Seth

NigelW
7 - Meteor

@danilang @smoskowitz 

thankyou

both approaches look good depending on the users needs.

I need to improve my Macro work and actions so will try both for experience

thanks

Nigel

Labels