Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to join to data sets the second have new columns with related cells to the first

Motivator
7 - Meteor

Hi, Please can someone point me in the right direction. I have 2 data sets:

Data 1 : Has the individual persons record of which company they work for.

Data 2 : Has the Continent where those companies have offices/or operate in.

When we want to market about a product relevant to a particular Continent, we want to be able to select to the individuals within a company that operate there?

Hope that makes sense, I have put together an example (the "output file" shows what I am looking for)

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Would you be able to upload copies of your input files or upload a packaged worfklow? A .yxmd file is just the workflow, it doesn't contain any data.

To package a workflow go to Options > Export workflow.

Motivator
7 - Meteor

HI, Thanks for the response. I apologise I thought the file I uploaded would include the data.

New export attached, thanks

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can use the transpose tool to put your country data in a more vertical format for the join. The join will bring together the countries, companies, and people. After that, you can use a crosstab tool to put the countries as new headers. To get the original company name back into the population, you can use a join on name.

See attached. Let me know if this works for you!

echuong1_0-1595004885108.png

Motivator
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for that, however it appears that your example is in a newer version of Alteryx and I can't view it.

I have 

Motivator_0-1595006394820.png

Are you able to save it as an older version or are you able to show me screen shots of the transpose and join configs?

Thanks

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I cannot - even if I downgrade on my end it will change to the newest version again.

If you go to the .yxmd file, open it using a text editor like notepad. In the XML, update the version number on line 2. 

echuong1_0-1595007281583.png

Motivator
7 - Meteor

Thanks you so much, you are a star! I will register as the solution.

Labels