Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transposing Longitude and Latitude data

Murphy_G
5 - Atom

I'm analysing dock-less vehicle data whereby one row represents one trip. Among other variables, the columns include start latitude, start longitude, end latitude and end longitude. I however need two rows per trip whereby start latitude and start longitude are in the first row and end latitude and end longitude are in the second row.

I've attached a png with an example of the original data structure and desired result. 

Is this possible with Alteryx?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ravisharma
7 - Meteor

Hi Murphy, 

Solution could look this. Hope this helps. 

Solution Long and Lat.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Sure this is possible, with a relatively straight forward approach...

1) transpose your data, with all 4 geographic fields set as 'data fields', this will give you four lines per original row.

2) create a field that indicates whether the field is a start or end point, this can easi I'll t be achieved by parsing the 'Name' field which is generated during the transpose process

3) create a second field which indicates whether the field Is a latitude or longitude, again this can easily be achieved by parsing the 'Name' field.

4) cross-tab your data into the desired format. The field you generated in step 3 will be your headers, and the field you created in step 2 must be included as a group by field, alongside any other detail fields you may have.

Ben
ravisharma
7 - Meteor

Hi Murphy, 

below solution. Hope this helps. 

if we consider data were coming 2 different files, it would be easier i think. 

Solution Long and Lat.png

Labels