Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tool Palette Navigation

Hi Everyone,

If possible I would like to see the Tool Palette Tabs automatically go onto a 2nd or even 3rd row if your screen isn't wide enough to show them all, and/or have the ability to order the Tool Palette Tabs yourself.

Most of the time I use IN/OUT, Preparation, Join & Transform... however I have set up my own Palette Tab for macros that I have made, but I find it a pain to keep scrolling left & right using the small arrow buttons KevinH_0-1593602909025.pngKevinH_1-1593602923038.png

I could reduce the number of Tabs to fit onto one screen, but whilst learning and looking for tools which maybe useful to a particular task, I have most of them already open and ready.

For example:

KevinH_2-1593603141819.png

With the ability to have this in any order you wish, so you can place your most frequently used Tabs on the top/bottom row, with your own Tab at the beginning... if you wish.

Thanks

Kevin

3 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Inactive User, I hate clicking those little arrows too, but not sure I'd like to lose canvas space for additonal tool rows...

However a couple of quick tips for you (which you might already know):

1. You can use your mouse scroll wheel, or two figures on your track pad to scroll through the tools at lightening speed! Much quicker and less annoying that clicking that arrow!
  2. You can add macros to existing categories by typing in an existing category name (e.g. Preparation) into the Meta Info tab of the macro:
    1. joe_lipski_1-1593621926503.png

3. You can hide the tool categories that you don't/rarely use by clicking the + icon at the end of the tool bar which will make it easier to find categories towards the end. These will still be searchable so can be used.
    1. joe_lipski_0-1593621861404.png

4. Searching for tools is always faster
  5. You can create your own tool palette using @chris_love's handy guide: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/FAQ-Creating-your-own-Custom-Tool-Palettes/ta-p/4074
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and thank you Joe for including some workarounds!

If Joe's workarounds cover your goal for this idea let me know and I can update the status to Implemented, if not however I recommend you check out our ideas submission guidelines which go over the idea process and at what criteria idea are pushed to our product team.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes