Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tool Deep Dive: Message

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

I'm doing a deep dive on the Message Tool (trying to cross off all the tools on my printed copy of @TaraM 's AWESOME wallchart).

Some questions for the community:

- What use cases have you seen for the message type "File Input" or "File Output".    is this just a way of hyperlinking to a file (for example if you're checking rowcounts on an input, and want to point the user to the file that has an error)

- How do I get these (fileInput and FileOutput) messages appear to the end-user when the message is used in an Analytical App in the gallery?    Error messages appear, but FileInput and FileOutput are not error messages (different type) so they don't come up

- Any other more advanced uses of messages that you've come across other than simple error reporting?   I use them a lot to do progress indicators within a macro (set the transient flag on, and then send back the record number) to create macro progress transparency in the calling canvas.

Thank you 

Sean

2 REPLIES 2
MJ
8 - Asteroid

Hey Sean, 

I just saw a File Input message type for the first time today and this is the only community article I could find that seemed relevant. 

It appears on the validation run messaging after we tried to publish to the Gallery.

Alteryx Workflow Input Files to be uploaded...0 records were read from "<filename>" (limit reached)

Hope this helps?

I'm going to post a question about this one as well.  

My theory is that the server has no more file storage capacity.

Seems like an easy one for support to confirm and document :)

MJ
8 - Asteroid
Labels