Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Teradata ODBC Driver SQLDriverConnect

sarawr29
5 - Atom

I am trying to get the Teradata Connect Loader to work but am running into the following error:TeradataIssue.JPG

Our current Teradata driver version is 15.00. Is there a minimum version requirement for the Teradata driver that could be causing this error? 
I didn't see any reference to it in the Teradata Loader documentation.

I also tried the Run As Solution but it didn't help. I didn't expect it to since we are specifying the connection details and UN/PW separately.

4 REPLIES 4
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sarawr29 The ODBC connection string for the Teradata Loader expects version 16.10 of the Teradata ODBC driver to be installed. You can either install this version or update the ODBC connection string to use the driver you have. Just keep in mind that we tested the loader with the 16.10 version of the driver and using a different driver may have undesired results.

sarawr29
5 - Atom

After working with customer support, we determined that the issue was the string being used in the loader. The string identifying the driver needs to exactly match what the driver name in the ODBC Data Source Administrator shows. In this case, the loader was using {Teradata Database ODBC Driver 16.10} when it should have been using {Teradata}. I saved the workflow to my desktop and opened it in Notepad to find/replace all of these driver names. 

We are no longer getting the driver incorrect issue, but we are seeing a new error saying that the password, username, or account is incorrect, even though all of our information appears to be correct. Our assumption is that we normally connect through LDAP but the default mechanism for Teradata is TD2. Still working to figure out a way around this...

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sarawr29 The initial connection string is built using a formula with data taken from user responses. The loader currently assumes that the Teradata database is using the default TD2 authentication mechanisms. If this isn't the case you will need to make adjustments to the formula to account for your environments needs.

Connection string formula:

odbc:Driver={Teradata Database ODBC Driver 16.10};DBCName='+[#1]+';TDMSTPortNumber='+[#2]+';UID='+[#4]+';PWD='+[#5]+'|||Select Top 1 DBC.Databases.DatabaseName From DBC.Databases'

If you database uses ldap authentication you would need to add 'AUTHENTICATION=LDAP' to the connection string and still retain the users id and password. This could be pretty easily done by just modifying the above formula in the appropriate action tool. Something like this example should work.

Modified Connection string formula to use LDAP auth:

odbc:Driver={Teradata Database ODBC Driver 16.10};DBCName='+[#1]+';TDMSTPortNumber='+[#2]+';AUTHENTICATION=LDAP;UID='+[#4]+';PWD='+[#5]+'|||Select Top 1 DBC.Databases.DatabaseName From DBC.Databases'

If your database uses another authentication method you should be able to use this same update and just change LDAP to the appropriate authentication method. The only exception to this would be if you database uses integrated security. If that is the case the connection string would require some significant changes to add the 'USEINTEGRATEDSECURITY=Y' option and removing the username and password options. This could be problematic as the user account running the app would be used to authenticate to the database instead of the provided credentials, and you may get unexpected results if the running user differs from the credential provided. 

Also please keep in mind that we haven't tested any of these connection string modifications so I can't ensure they work without issue, or make statements on exactly what in the loader needs to be adjusted to make them work.

DavidAngevine
7 - Meteor

I have a similar Teradata problem.  However, the error states: 

Error: Input Data (1): Error SQLDriverConnect: [Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] Loading the TeraGSS Library Failed .   I re-loaded Teradata SQL tool, but this did not fix it.   Any ideas on this new error?

Labels