Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Temporary Directory Save Option

MikeA
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Question

Did you know that instead of having to choose a save location in the Output Tool, you could leverage the directory that is used to save your temporary files?

Answer

This can be handy if you are running chained apps locally or have macros that have a file output process. To use temporary space instead of actually writing out a file to a specified location. All you have to do is add the following onto your file name: %temp%..\Output.yxdb. Once you run your workflow you can navigate to your temporary directory (which can be found in System Settings->Engine->General->Temporary Directory) to view your saved file.

Capture.PNG

The same path you used in the output tool can be used in an input tool to read in the file that is saved to the temporary directory.

Comments
Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

Hello! 

Am working on building chained apps. So how often the temporary storage gets cleaned by alteryx? 

I have build a process that will output files, images as part of reporting. I don't want to save these files but instead use these files for the next app to process - say email them. I would like to know if we need to manually monitor/manage this temporary storage or it will be taken care by the Suite itself? 

MikeA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Raghu_s!

Further info on the Temporary Directory as well as Temporary files can be found in the Designer help here - https://help.alteryx.com/current/index.htm#TempFiles.htm?

Thanks!

Mike

Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @MikeA