Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Summarize Tool: configuration to ignore non-existent fields

I know there is an idea for Dynamic Summarize, however I think with only small change to Summarize tool this could be achieved. 

If we set the Summarize to Group by all our dimensions but then use ListBox + Action to control which dimensions we want to select - wouldn't it be nice (ahh Beach Boys comes to mind) to be able to tell Summarize tool that if the dimension in group by is not found just ignore it? At the moment it throws an error. I just think such small configuration would achieve this, right? 

Please let me know what you think

4 Comments
mgcoty
5 - Atom

I'd like to bump this post because there seems to be a growing need for a Dynamic Summarize.  With a Dynamic Summarize, users will be able to perform ad-hoc queries for their desired fields, rather than dumping data into a sheet and having to use a pivot table. 

My workflow has a list box which updates a select through an action tool "Update Select with multi-select ListBox". I end up getting the fields I selected (which is great), but I have not figured out a way to only summarize those fields selected (based on key/data as well).  I was able to create a transpose on all fields, but attaching a summarize instead gave the usual error "fields missing".

A Dynamic Summarize solution would greatly help the vast majority of users who are involved in reporting.  

If a Dynamic Summarize is not available in the near future, perhaps an R program that summarizes transpose items could be created in the mean time?  I would have loved to contribute this, but I have not learned R yet!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I know this idea is old, but I just came across it and think it would be really useful if added to the product!

Robinpi
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, please.

I just wanted to post the same Idea.

Please lets have an option to ignore non exisiting fields if they come up because of changing the underlying data. 

Thank you.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes