Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Strong Typing on Macro Inputs

When building an Alteryx Macro - one of the tough parts is that the input data you put into the Macro Input is used for testing, but you cannot set the type.

So for example - I want to test with the value 1, and Alteryx automatically assumes this is a Byte.

However 1 is just a useful test value, but I need this to be an int 64.

Can we provide the option to strongly type the macro inputs - this way, we can give advanced users the ability to control the type on Macro Inputs, and not run into this sort of issue with test data implicitly defining the type?

Note: this is similar to the idea here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Set-data-type-in-Text-Input-tool/idc-p/115209...

6 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) just realised that I named this thread incorrectly - it should be "Strong Typing on Macro Inputs".

Too little coffee....

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hopefully they can change that for you to get better visibility, because this is a big issue.  I run across it particularly with SpatialObject data types which requires that I create and use a template yxdb which is annoying to change as the inputs shift with development.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Strong typing on Macro Inputs will also be super important as we start using shared macros and tools across the org as a shared asset.   Without strong typing, it does become difficult to build these with the required degree of resilience and testing.

CC:  @rijuthav@jithinmony@HengHe@RajK@ydmuley@revathi@Deeksha@MPistone@Ari_Fuller@Arianna_Fuller@JoshKushner@samnelson@samN@avinashbonu@Sunder_Sriram@Rahul_Thakur@Rahul_Singh@MarqueeCrew@patrick_digan

HuwHallam
8 - Asteroid

I'm hitting this problem too. I take a copy of the data from my main workflow right before where I want the macro, paste it into a new workflow to create a text input that I can convert to a macro input and boom! the datatypes change as if I'd run it through an Autofield tool. It then messes up the subsequent calculations in the macro.

OK I can stick a select tool into the macro to switch the datatypes, but it's frustrating that I can't do it through the input tool. Or have I missed something? Can you?

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This would definitely prevent a lot of errors and heartburn from occuring every time I am working with a macro where the types change dynamically and the sample provide is just meant to keep the macro clean looking. 

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your idea! The product team will research the UX needed for this idea, and we'll get back to you once we have a response from the development team on if and when we could implement your idea.