Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

String to numbers Multiple fields

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I have a question on how to convert strings to numbers for my data. I attached a sample of the data I have(I included all types of strings I have in my file) and the desired outcome in the the secont sheet. I do not know if there is a simple way of doing this since I have hundreds of columns(for which the headers sometimes contain numbers that i don't want to change). 

Could somone help me with this matter,

Thank you in advance

6 REPLIES 6
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @davidgosselin,

here is a way to do it: 

grossal_1-1585502753490.png

Output:

grossal_0-1585502743735.png

You will notice that the first cell is different, but in my eyes your desired output was wrong, because E-4 will be cutoff with only two digits.

Workflow attached. Let me know if it helps.

Best

Alex

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

This workflow would do it but the problem with this one is that I have hundreds of columns I would not want to manually select each one of them, I would want it to be done without have to select them. Would there be a way to do it?

Thank you for your time Alex,

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @davidgosselin, you could use a combination of transpose, formula tool, and crosstab to achieve this objective.

AbhilashR_0-1585503843959.png

Attached is an implementation of the logic.

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

grossal_0-1585504140736.png

You can choose to select all and than deselect the Type-Column @davidgosselin.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@davidgosselin - just to add a tiny detail to @grossal's most recent post, as long as you uncheck Type field and check the Dynamic or Unknown Fields option, all new columns in your dataset will be processed in the Multi-Field formula tool. The Dynamic or Unknown Fields option is our way of instructing Alteryx to process new fields being introduced in the source data.

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you to both of you! Yes Alex I guess this will be the best way for now, thank you

Labels