Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stop part of workflow based on condition

abarmecha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I have a workflow which has multiple branches each with their own output and email. I've scheduled this workflow to run every hour. For only one of the branches, I want the output and email to be generated every 3 hours. Is there any way I can do this?

Since I'm using the Scheduler, I'm wary of using the Crew Runner Macro as it is not supported by Alteryx.

Update: @fmvizcaino helped me stop output file generation. Now I need the email to not be sent out as well. Currently, the emailer still send out the message with no file attached.

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @abarmecha ,

Attached is an example showing one way of doing it.

The idea behind this workflow was to filter all data based on the specific hour you want. If there are data available, the output is produced, if not, the file will not be generated. 

To control the file generation, I have used the 'take file from field' option in output data tool, as showed in attached workflow.

If that is what you need, please mark the answer as correct, if not, let me know what I can do to help you further.

Best,

Fernando V.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@abarmecha What is the harm done if the output is generated every 1 hour rather than the 3 hours? Just look at the output every 3 hours! You can create a separate workflow with that specific branch and schedule that workflow to run every 3 hours as well. 

@fmvizcaino trick would work too.

Digan
Alteryx
abarmecha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @fmvizcaino 

Thanks for the response. The reason why this doesn't quite work for me is because even though the output file is not generated in the way you've modified the workflow, the email still gets sent (I should have mentioned this in the original question. My apologies). I've updated the description.

abarmecha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @DiganP 

I've updated the problem description which sort of answers your question.

To be more specific, the team who uses the output file/email don't want their mailboxes to be clogged with hourly emails. They prefer every 3 hours. That's why I'm trying to run part of the workflow only every 3 hours.

My apologies for the confusion.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @abarmecha ,

For the e-mail, it is quite the same. If there isn't data going through your email tool, the e-mail is not sent and the tool doesn't give an error as well.

So for that, you need to use the same filter from the example before your email tool.

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

abarmecha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @fmvizcaino 

Thanks for your response. The email is not blank as there is a body (text) in the email along with the output file. So the email is still getting sent.

Best,

Ayush Barmecha

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @abarmecha ,

It shouldn't send an email if 0 rows is coming from the input. See images below and as you can see, I inserted a body as well.

Sent with 1 row

fmvizcaino_0-1574750788507.png

Not sent with 0 rows

fmvizcaino_1-1574750836844.png

I'm currently using version 2019.3.5.17947. If your e-mail is being sent even with 0 rows coming from the input, maybe it is something related to the e-mail tool version.

abarmecha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @fmvizcaino 

Thank you. Figured out the mistake I was making.

Best,

Ayush Barmecha

Labels